Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'd Like to Introduce Myself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rock Force, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Rock Force

Rock Force

Jan 21, 2005
    Plano, Texas
    Sup! I'm John (a.k.a. Rock Force) and I joined this site so I could use it as a reference later on in my musical career. This looks like a pretty helpful site.

I'm 13 and I play trombone (don't laugh). However, going into High School later this year, I'm going to have to sacrifice the trombone (which I'm very good at, btw) so I can keep playing sports.

Music, school, and athleteics are all strong points in my life. however, I excel more at music than anything else. I've got a good sense of rhythmn (not sure how to spell that) and I'm a pretty quick learner. Knowing that I wanted to keep the musical point in my life going, I attempted playing guitar. I went out, bought a cheap one, got a lesson book, and played. Not too sucessful. I learned that I had quick fingers, but I suck at playing chords. So, I gave up at the guitar and am looking into an instrument that I think I'll be really good at: the bass. I went over to my friend's house, played his bass, and loved it.

I''ve been saving up my money for a while, and I've come up with about 700 bucks. My birthday is later next month, so I thought that my parents might be able to help me out with what I can't cover. What I want is a little advice on what I need to do to get started off well, and thats why I came here. I just want some good tips. But first, here's what I'm planning on buying:

A Fender Mustang Bass (Quick question: are 19 frets enough for most songs?)
    A 100w Fender Rumble Amp (I'm not planning on doing any gigs any time soon, but I wantr something that will produce a big sound.)
    I have a tuner
    I need a good strap and straplocks (Any suggestions)
    That's alll I think I need. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I guess that's it! Thanks!

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Welcome to the realm.

3. Trombone?! Hahahahahahah....ha. [​IMG] [​IMG]

...kidding...I'm a kidder. Welcome to le' Forum.

... it's rhythm

... bass may be easier to plunk a song on, but in my opinion, it is infinitely harder to master than guitar.

... I'd start out with a Fender Jazz bass or a Precision bass (the jazz isn't just for jazz, players from all styles of music play them, they're the industry standard). The Mustang just ain't quite as good as either the J (jazz) or the P (precision). I started on a Precision copy made by Hondo.

... Quite a few companies make decent quality combo amplifiers (amplifier and speaker in one box), the Rumble is good, but look into the Peavey TKO as well.

... The only thing not on your list is a cable...20' 1/4" Shielded...most of the reputable makers offer lifetime warranties.

... I use both Dunlop and Schaller straplocks and love them equally.

Two bits of advice: 1. We're all here to help and will offer our opinions based on experience, so, if you ask a question and aren't happy with the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question. 2. Talkbass has been around for years, so nearly every question has been asked and discussed a few dozen times over...do a search of the forums before starting a new thread.

Do those two things and your experience here will be both rewarding, really fun, and educational. Many new members flame out early on because of ignorance.

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Welcome. Nothin' wrong with trombone. I took that when I was 13 also.

I can't offer much input for what you want to buy really.
    I can tell you this site will school you good. :)

5. Here's some good advice: Whatever bass you buy (Jazz and P's are good places to start, but think about five strings too) invest in a good setup and more importantly invest in learning how to do a setup yourself.

6. Hey man, welcome to the forum.

To get away from your questions for a minute, I would take the time to fill out your profile, so we can get to know you better!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi John I am Major Metal and Welcome to Talk Bass , enjoy. :bassist:

8. Rock Force

Rock Force

Jan 21, 2005
    Plano, Texas
    Will my old guitar cable work? Also, why won't it let me change my avatar? I'm not familiar with this type of forum. :help:

Done! Thanks!

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hi John, I'm RAM. Welcome to TB!:D

Nothing wrong with the trombone. I started out on clarinet.

My first bass was a rented Precision copy and a 10-watt Crate. That was 14,000 years ago before wood was invented.

Sounds like you know yourself well. Look, listen, learn, and play...you'll impress yourself in no time!:D

10. Rock Force

Rock Force

Jan 21, 2005
    Plano, Texas
    What is the best fender jazz bass for a beginner like me? (preferrably somewhat cheap) And what is the size difference between a mustang bass and jazz bass? Because I really like the size and feel of the mustang that I tried out at guitar center.

11. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    Welcome to TB! :)

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Methinks that starting out on a short-scale instrument such as a Mustang will make the transition into a full-scale instrument (34") much harder. If you start out on a regular 34" scale, you will develop the muscles in your hands and wrists and be able to make bigger stretches. Sure 32" scale is easier at first but it may limit you in the end.

I highly recommend anything from rondo-music.com. They have J and P copies for just over $100 and their quality and consistency is much better than many instruments costing three times as much new.

I'd also STRONGLY recommend you get to know your instrument well. Don't get caught up in all that GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) you will be hearing about on here. Learn to get the tones from your fingers and merely let the instrument and amp be the means with which your fingers sing. :cool:

13. Rock Force

Rock Force

Jan 21, 2005
    Plano, Texas
    Thanks for all the feedback! THis is a great site!

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Am I the only one thats noticed how literate, articulate and well manered young Master John has presented himself to be in his introductory post?

Welcome aboard.

15. I was much surprised myself. Wish they all could be like that...wish I was like that! :eek:

Welcome to TB bro and enjoy the stay. :bassist:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Welcome John. You sound like you're on the right track. Beware of playing the trombone ... the other band members will always be trying to borrow money off you.

Anyway, forget the Mustang bass. Go for a full-size Mexican Fender (probably not a Squier), my preference would be a Jazz Bass for its versatility. I think these are around $300 or so. This is something you'll be able to use for a long time, and you won't have to re-learn when you switch basses because of the scale length. Then try a Fender Bassman 60 for the amp. This should keep you within your budget.

In my opinion, one of the most important parts of playing bass is being able to hear the bass line. That, along with a good sense of rhythm will make it pretty easy to learn. I think you'll enjoy it.

If you hang out here, you'll learn a lot (I sure do). I think the people here are going to like you, because you're sincere, articulate, and not troll-like. Good luck.

OK, that's my nice post for the week. Don't get used to it. Now I've got to go throw up. brb.

17. Rock Force

Rock Force

Jan 21, 2005
    Plano, Texas
    Where can I buy a mexican Fender?

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The classifieds on here, ebay, www.bassgear.com are good places to look for used. Most music stores carry Fender stuff too. ;)

19. Rock Force

Rock Force

Jan 21, 2005
    Plano, Texas
    Alright. Thanks man.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I hate to say it, but Guitar Center has Mexican Fenders. Play as many as you can get your hands on, and buy the one that feels and sounds best to you. Maybe take an experienced player with you. Some of the Mexican (MIM) Fenders are very good, and others are not.