1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'd like to see some hands...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Apr 30, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

After posting some pictures of a gig I had last Friday and seeing other fellow TalkBassers in action, I felt interested about that kind of (obvious) variety on playing techniques, so I'd like to see in a single thread pictures in which both hands' playing style is clearly seen. Of course, there are lots of techniques like slapping, tapping, playing with a pick, but my idea is: I want to see pictures (preferably just one per poster) that you feel represent your regular playing technique the best. The only condition: No posing, OK? I mean, nothing like "I'm going to put my hands on my bass the best I can and take a picture of that". I'm talking about actual, inadvertent action pics. Thank you in advance! Here's mine (3rd time I post it, BTW):

Gig028.

P.S.: I can't recall any "pics request" thread in the technique forum, but since this is technique-related, I feel this is the best place for posting. Maybe I'm wrong, so please mods move this if necessary.

2. Corbow

Corbow

Mar 15, 2005
    Here I go...like...shake it, baby:bassist:

206_0604_resize.JPG

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Hey Alvaro I love your fretting hand position/technique!I see ıts a very good technique and I'm working on it to do it like you
    for some time but its really hard for me,any suggestions hot to achieve that?:help:

4. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm horrible! But fun at the Hard Rock! Like the strategically placed mic stand??!!

Attached Files:

5. slap on a fretless-(yes It's just the lines :rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]

for some reason my pinky flys out eratically when I play like a natural muscle reaction or something
    [​IMG]

6. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    I've got the same problem, I feel like a Grandmother at a tea party!:mad:

7. Erlend

Erlend

Apr 25, 2006
    yeah yeah

Attached Files:

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hey man, thank you for your comments! :)

Well, one of the best exercises for getting that position (in my experience, of course) is the one that my students have baptized "The fingerbreaker":

[​IMG]

Some VERY IMPORTANT remarks about this:

- Notice that each staff has the same pattern. The only difference is the string in which it's played. So, when you finish one string and move to the next one, don't raise your fingers off the fretboard. Just do it when it's time for each finger to play the next note.

- The metronome marking is strict. No faster than that. Now, if you want to play it slower, that's great, but even more difficult.

- TAKE IT EASY. The idea is to play the whole exercise from beginning to end non-stop, but don't try to achieve that from the very beginning. You can have some serious injuries in your left hand if you try to play this without proper warmup and without being used to the exercise (This means: Lots of time and patience). The most important thing: If you feel an unbearable pain, STOP INMEDIATELY, take a break and try again when you feel fine.

- I think this is extremely difficult if you don't wear your bass high. This is another reason why I wear it like that. Also notice the angle in which I wear my instrument. When playing this exercise, there's a tendency to raise the neck. You should avoid that at all costs.

- If it feels "impossible to play" at the beginning, try playing it at the 7th position and going lower as you feel comfortable.

- Again, with lots of time and patience, you'll notice something like this:

Hands001. Hands002.

My left hand has a curvature that my right hand hasn't. Guess why...

Hope this helps. And hey... I want to see more hands! :hyper:

9. playing that slowly seeems easy, not difficult,

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

skullgrin. Just try it non-stop and following my directions (#s 1, 2 & 4) strictly.

11. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Looking at my fat paws you can see why I need wider string spacing ...... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    About as opposite of styles as you can get but here ya go!!

DSC_0127.

TDFCurbow.

13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Here are a few. I've learned a bit from seeing pics of my hands. I'll admit, these are probably some of the better ones.

hands21.

hands11.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. You look like Seymour Duncan:p

[​IMG]

15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Thanks for the help and the "finger breaker" Alvaro,you've been very helpful!

16. [​IMG]

Me in Thailand last year - that was fun...not sure what I'm looking at.

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

My pleasure, man. Let me know of your progress! Maybe I should add: Always play it while standing (better than seated IMO) and if you play a 5 or 6 string bass, use the other string(s) as well.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Very cool pic, but where are the hands? :p

19. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :D LOL

Old guys, white hair ..... hey, maybe he's my brother from another mother :eek: :confused: :D :cool:

20. kindofgreysmaller.
    I think my technique has improved since that was taken, fortunately.