Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'd like your opinion on a planned amp/cab setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by addylewis, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Right - I've got a vox 125 bass head and I was thinking about getting it fixed up...

I was also planning on perhaps getting one of these,(you gotta click on "vox", "Cabinets" and "AC50 (small box)" to see it...) and was thinking about the speakers to put in it...would overpowered guitar speakers work? - I was thinking of getting 2x75 (or 100) watters from Celestion, being they could handle more volume (guitar) than the amp will be giving them (bass) I'd guess they'd work ok and not get irrepribally damaged after a few gigs (bearing in mind I'd probably be using the amp on full whack)...am I completely wrong? - just guitar speakers are cheaper, and that cab costs enough by itself...! :D

2. vox bass setup!
    if you ever think about selling it tell me!
    get emminence bass drivers, i was talking to the head of ashdown and he recomended them.
    can you send me some pics of your vox setup or what you have got with vox i would be very intrested :hyper:

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're gonna end with expensive speakers in an expensive box, not designed to fit together, tuned for guitar instead of bass and way too small to carry proper lows.
    If you get lucky, you won't fry the speakers after a couple low Es.
    Not a very bright idea IMHO.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The AC 50 is an open-back guitar cab. No matter what you use for drivers it simply won't work for bass.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Once a guy tried to sell me an open cab.
    "See, it's called an infinite cab because it works for any frequency. You bass will sound rad". :meh:

6. Just an idea - I've got the amp (which needs refurbing big style with new valves, tolex, grill cloth and logo) I'm not planning on using it as my main rig really - just a portable one which would be cool for smaller gigs (got the amp ages ago in need of repair - I'm just sick of having it hanging around without any speakers...ya know)

So you lot reckon bass speakers would be safer then? - cool :)

yo kitcar - I've only got the knackered amp at the moment (dunno how to put pics up on this board...heres the whole original rig when it came out...), follow that link I mentioned earlier and click on the buttons to see the cab I was thinking of...

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You need a bass speaker, yes, but be sure of what that is. A speaker is the compete system, consisting of the cabinet (enclosure) and the drivers. Loading bass drivers into an open back guitar cabinet does not result in a bass speaker. The cabinet must be one specifically designed for the bass, and the drivers must be specifically matched to it.