ID on a Kay C-1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MysteryKay, Jan 23, 2005.

1. MysteryKay

Jan 20, 2005
    As far as I can tell, the serial number is 3062. It has all but been washed out. The tag has a crest with a K in it. It has hatpin tuners that say "Czechoslovakia." There is a bullseye on the back of the scroll. The number 4 is stamped on the back of the neck joint. Someone has attempted to refinish it. Can I get an appr. age or any other info on this bass?

Attached Files:

2. MysteryKay

Jan 20, 2005
    Neck joint and tag.

Attached Files:

3. You have an Orchestra model,not a C-1 and looking at that serial number it's probably a 1940 or possibly a 39.Those wooden peg tuners were not standard on Kays as far as I know, so they might of been added on later.Have you tried Roger Stowers site to get an accurate year on that serial number?
  4. MysteryKay

Jan 20, 2005

There it is right on the label. "Orchestra Model." The vision is the first thing to go! :eyebrow: I submitted to Stowers' site about a year ago and never got a response.
  5. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    According to the Roger Stowers information, your bass was made in 1938, the second year of production.

Many of the early basses have tuners made in Czechoslovakia. The Czech tuners were used sporadically from 1937 until 1946. I have only seen them used on Orchestra model basses. The vast majority of the tuners from Czechoslovakia were used prior to 1939. The Czech tuners were of at least two different styles. The ones with the wooden knobs and the all brass style. The ones with the wooden knob say “Made in Czechoslovakia” and the all brass style simply say “Czechoslovakia”.
  6. MysteryKay

Jan 20, 2005
    Thanks for the info. The odd thing about these tuners is that they are wooden, but only say "czechoslavakia" not "made in czechoslavakia." I'm thinking they may have been retrofitted.. Just wish I could be sure about that serial number.
  7. Joe Kyle Jr.

Joe Kyle Jr. Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    I had a Kay S-8 with a serial number in the low 4000's that was identified (by Roger Stowers) as a 1939 model. I think ctxbass is correct with 1938.
  8. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    I recently picked up a Kay M4 w/ serial # 1187, which Roger Stowers placed as made in 1937. I guess that Kay made ~2000 basses per year then, so I agree that 1938 seems probable for serial # ~3000.
    Try emailing Roger Stowers again - when I asked him about my bass he got back to me within a few hours.

9. leejohn01

leejohn01 Guest

Aug 26, 2001
    FWIW, I have an Orchestra Model #30xx with the Czech wooden knob tuners, also has an ebonized (painted) fingerboard.