Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'd really like to pick up guitar...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BrettAM, Aug 2, 2002.

1. ...and I was wondering what guitars you guys would reccomend that would be great for a beginner/intermediate guitarist. I hope to play a lot of blues/classic rock. I really like the look and feel of the Gretsch Double Jets but I was wondering what everyone else thought of them. Also, could someone reccomend a suitable practice amp? I'm hoping to keep total spending under $550-600.

2. MIM tele, you'll have plenty to spend on an amp.

3. That's all good and fine if you really don't care about the looks at all...yuck.

All I can say is don't buy a Squire. I like ESP guitars but that might not be the best for the style you want to play.

4. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Why do you want to pick up guitar man? Bass is so much cooler. You want to pick up something new, get a piano or a trumpet. There is enough guitar players out there. (I hope I am not offending anybody...)

5. I play guitar as well. My main axe is a Fender Nashville Telecaster. Normally I don't like teles, but this one looks amazing and it sounds great as well. I put in a seymour duncan hotrail in the bridge and now it gets great distortion tones. I love it to death. Try one of those babies out.

(to be read: guitar is actually my main instrument :eek: )

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I myself wouldn't mind one, just for mucking around. If I ever did, I'd lay down for a Squier Fat Strat, like the one I used to have (see- started on guitar for about 2 months).

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I haven't tried any Gretsches but they do look cool... I have a Fender MIM Fat Strat and like it a lot.

As far as practice amps, there's a ton of 'em out there, but most of them suck. Peavey makes some pretty nice ones.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, and I forgot, I'd need something rather vital to my guitar playing: A set of headphones. :D

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I play guitar a little too, I've got a strat and I'm actually looking at the Squier double fat tele... it's carved mohagany with a set neck (like SG or Les Paul). I also have an early 70's Yamaha acoustic and might grab a Seagull to my collection.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i second the MIM tele suggestion - or a strat. i don't think it gets much better for cheapy guitars.

i used to have a peavey patriot tho...natural mahogany with a maple board and hardtail bridge...and that was a darn nice guitar. they're CHEAP as cheap gets on ebay. 200 tops.

11. I had a Squier Strat once. Bad idea. I had an Ibanez GAX. Another bad idea. I got a MIM Tele. Good idea. Get a Tele for simplicity and a big neck. Get a Strat for more versatility and better looks. And Marshall's AVT series is good for guitar amps. I have an AVT50.

And, like Jake, guitar is kinda my main thing these days. Bass isn't as much fun to me unless I'm playing in a band. :(

12. 1. I already play piano AND violin on top of the bass.

2. It's just for fun, I have no desire to play in a band as a guitarist it's just that I'd really like to have that instrument available. I still consider the bass and piano my soul mates.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Miscellaneous.

14. i bought a Samick a few days ago, and its a nice geetar. smooth neck, makes slides and solos nice and easy. but keep in mind guitar aint guitar without a distortion pedal which is an extra 100 bucks.

15. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I got a Epiphone Les Paul 100 a few weeks back. It's an excelent instrument. The finish is perfect and looks very good, the neck feels great. The action is set relatively low and there's no buzzing unless I strum too hard. The pickups sound very good, I can get a very good full sound with it.

There's only two slight problems which could influence your decision:
    1) The tuners are infamous for not holding in tune all of the time. I haven't had much of a problem with mine, only the new strings/stretching from what I can tell.

2) You need straplocks. There's no way in hell I would play that instrument with a regular strap, it will fall very easily because of the strap button placement. If you stand still you might be able to keep it on, but don't be the farm.

Other than that, it's a very good instrument and I would definately recommend it :)

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Guitarist here, as well.

I recommend a MIM Fender. Great guitar to just pick up and play. No to the Squier/Squire series. Guitar. Amp- check out Fender amps, Marshall, Roland, all combos of course. Good luck on your guitar journey.

Been playing for 5 years on guitar (1 for bass) and to tell you the truth, I find more enjoyment in picking up my acoustic guitar and just playing with that rather my electrics. Its just more earthy and warm. The chicks dig acoustic over electric as well.:)

17. I'd go with either the Epiphone Les Paul Standard or MIM Standard Telecaster.

On a side note:
    I just looked at the Squier website (for god knows why) and I just saw that THEY made a Tom DeLonge strat copy, too. I don't get it, they made a copy of a copy. :confused:

18. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Nothing beats a strat for blues.

Mmmmm neck pickup goodness

19. If you like the Fender(tm) sound, definately try both the Mexican made Stratocaster and Telecaster. If you want more of a Gibson(tm) sound, look into the Paul Reed Smith Santana SE model. It is a very well built guitar and doesn't cost nearly as much as comparable Gibsons.

If you want a modern, "shred" type guitar, there are a so many that it comes down to trying a bunch and picking the one you like. Look for quality hardware and electronics and bare bones (eg. Stay away from the budget Ibanez Steve Vai "signature guitars"). Some of Ibanez guitars are very good, others (cheaper models) are IMO a waste of money.

As for an amp., If you are looking for vintage tone, look for a good , low power, used tube amp.. If you want something more modern and "high-gain", I've heard good things about the Marshall valvestate amps. but can't reccommend them since I haven't really played one long enough.

Hope this helps. :)

20. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was looking at the same guitar recently but Im cheap and I really wanted to dabble with a guitar. I ended up getting this http://jayturser.com/jt-classic_variations.htm (its the first guitar at the top of the page but all black). I ended up talking the guys at the store down to 280. Thats a pretty good deal, IMO. Its a nice play, good sounding guitar. Try one out if you have the means.