1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ID the pickup in this '69 Fender Mustang :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAgent, Nov 6, 2018.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    So there's a '69 Mustang on a Dutch Craigslist-kinda website and the guy asks way too much money for it. So I sent him an e-mail and he's coming to my house tomorrow to determine how original it is, and what it's worth. There are only 2 pics, one of which is the headstock (looks legit from the picture) and then there's this one, of the whole bass:
    $_86.
    Now I am already pretty proficient in determining the authenticity of a vintage Fender so that should be no prob. But there's one thing I can't stand: I have no idea what kind of pickup was hammered into this bass. Does anyone have any idea? It looks vaguely Höfner-ish, or gold foil... Or just something aftermarketJapanspecialpriceforyoumyfriendcrappyish.

HD007 likes this.
  2. That bass has some battle scars!

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    By the looks of it, it's the same Maxon model that was commonly used on Japanese basses of the early '70s. Actually a single-coil - the screws on either side are merely decorative.

2455139maxon_pickup.

4. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    I once had a ‘68. It was a wonderful bass that I had to sell in ‘83 when I needed money for grad school. One of my top two big mistakes. I’d pass on that with the funky pickup. But that’s just my opinion.

5. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    It sure does! I'm a bit afraid of what's under the pickguard.

Oh wow, thanks! That's probably it :)

6. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Well, I checked the bass today. It's not a '69, it's a '72. The neck (including tuners, frets and neck plate) is 100% original. So are the finish (which is a lot prettier in real life), the bridge and the control plate. The pickup, pickguard and pots are replacements and they haven't been very subtle in putting them in. The soldering on the pots is sloppy, the cavity for the pickup is kinda ugly and the knobs are hídeous. Looking through that, however, it has some real potential. It plays great. The original shielding copper plates are still there. I want to buy it (depending on the price) and reinstate its beauty.

aPlpwfy.

Z9d0y2Y.

Cool detail: this mr. Torres (who was an employee at Fender in the late 60's and 70's) made the neck on this bass. He also made the neck on my '71 Precision.

Thick McRunfast, HD007 and murmur70 like this.
  7. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Hey! I think I saw the owner playing this "instrument" in a club in Saigon in 1970! Just before in coming artillery. She is absolutely perfect for Veterans day. You do have a job in front of you. I am envious. Good luck and welcome to the club.
    Btw that pup don't look like anything on my HCT 500/1 Contemporary.
    Finally what DID you find under the pickguard? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Have fun
    Bob

8. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    That's impossible :) The bass is from '72.

The pickup was chopped in pretty brutally but it is saveable. I'm not going to do it however :)