ID this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean S, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ScottyDaBodi

ScottyDaBodi

Aug 28, 2006
    NYC
    If it is what it's said to be, judging by the totally original stuff on it, looks like 66-68. Although there is no visible binding on the neck(which was a staple of the late-60's J's), the big "F" on the bridge cover has late 60's written all over it...

Can't tell much from this photo though....

2. yeah the photo is way too small, you can't see the little details

3. I was just curious...i wasn't really interested in buying...but the seller has a 0 rating...so...to start with something this big...haha

4. Are you willing to spend $7000 on a person with no feedback?

5. gnergaard

gnergaard

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    OBVIOUSLY you need more details before spending that kind o' cash but it does seem like 64-69. Anything earlier probably wouldn't have the matched or darkened headstock, anything much later is likely to have a 3 bolt neck. I agree that the block inlays were very common in the mid 60's Jazz bass but the slab finger boards are not uncommon in those years.
    Damn! $7K?!?!? I wonder what my old beat up '69 Jazz is worth?

6. haha I think i was misunderstood...I am NOT interested in buying it haha...
    I was just putting others on possible scam alert :D

7. jwilson

jwilson

Sep 14, 2006
    Portsmouth, NH
    i think it is a early 66', if it is legit. oval tuners, no binding, ect...(hard to be sure there is no binding from that angle). From the distance of that photo, could be a reissue for that matter. I would also say that selling the case in another auction is also suspect. By 67' would have had block inlay for sure.

8. guywettstein

guywettstein

Sep 18, 2006
    "Serial Number: 145247 (chrome plate on back of body)"

Serial numbers were 110000-200000 in '66.

I don't think any rational person would bid on this though.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    They actually had two volume and two tone controls on concentric shafts (volume/tone for each pickup).

Same configuration as the present '62 Jazz RI.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    When I see oval tuners I think 66/67.

11. This I did not know...but I was close

thanks

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021