1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ID This Fender USA 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What I know is that's it's a USA Fender (N+7 digit serial) from aboout 1991. Not sure of the model. Looks like it's some kind of Jazz, but the controls are odd (no plate) and the headstock looks a bit different, etc...

[​IMG]

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Is it a Jazz Bass Plus? Looks like it might have the Kubicki electronics.

3. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Looks like it has red transparent Q tuner pups. Small pic though hard to distinguish much detail.

4. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Looks like a Jazz Bass+...the ones I tried weren't bad. Wasn't too much of a fan of the Lace Sensors (which were stock), but for US made, not bad.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I had one of those back in the day - not a bad bass, OK B string. It's from the era when Fender took over the production of Philip Kubicki basses.

To me, the Kubicki-designed electronics in the Fender Jazz Bass Plus didn't give enough "juice" to the front end of an amp - the output was literally half of any other bass I had at the time. This struck me as odd because the electronics found in a Kubicki bass could be hot to the point of being extreme.

I eventually replaced the Kubicki electronics and Lace pickups with EMG pickups and an EMG preamp and played the bass in that configuration happily for many years.