Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ID this "mystery" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TVD, Jan 11, 2005.

1. TVD

TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Hey everyone, since i now have a digital camera, i have a fretless bass that i have no idea what brand it is. I bought it like 13 years ago when i was on sort of a fretless kick, and this was the only one i could find anywhere around near i lived at the time. I paid like 400 bucks for it. I played it out a few times when i first bought it, but i just move around on stage way too much to play a fretless effective. I isntantly turned into a statue onstage with it. Several years ago i talked about it on this site, but was unable to post pics of it then, now that i've finally leaped into the 90's, i can! Nobody here back than could ID it from my written description of it. heh I'm thinking of putting it up on eBay since i never play it, what does anyone think it's worth? Trent

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/trentvd/album?.dir=/6d6a

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

I can only ID a bass by soundclips...................:eyebrow: ;)

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Where did you find it? Are those pickups marked "Hi-A"? That would date it to the late 70s,

It was probably built by some small custom builder, I've seen many basses like that over the years. The Badass mounted to a wood plate is a sign that some earlier bridge was replaced.

4. TVD

TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    I found it at a pawn shop in Wisconsin. Yes, the pickups are marked "Hi-A". They told me when i bought it that the Badass bridge had replaced an earlier bridge on it. Trent

5. Hi-A is pre-Bartolini, right? Very interesting piece. It would definitely do your sale a favor to research the provenance on that thing. Kind of like those people who have an old Ken Smith bass made by Vinnie Fodera. . . .

6. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have seen that logo that is on the headstock before, I think I have a link to the site. I believe it is a builder who is doing furniture or something now, in seattle. I'l look arround for that link.

7. thats pretty cool...what do all those switches do?
    and what is that on the headstock?

looks cool...if you aer in wisconsin, you should come visit for a while, and bring the bass!

8. TVD

TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    It's been so long since i've played it i don't remember what all the switches do. lol I'll fire it up before i sell it so i'll know if anyone asks. Do you mean what is the logo on the headstock? Or are you talking about the little chip in the finish on the far left side of the logo? The logo itself, again i don't know, it looks sort of like the letter F to me, or the number 3 with some sybmols coming out of the back of it. I grew up in Green Bay, but i live in Tennessee now. Trent

9. Quencher

Quencher

Jan 11, 2005
    Looks like an old Cort

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I played one of those in a shop back in the early 80's. I have no idea what the brand is. As near as we could figure out, the switches are coil taps for each pickup, and a pickup selector switch.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not really pre-Bartolini... it's early Bartolini.

I have no idea what this bass is. I love when that happens;)

12. The logo looks like the sanskrit letter om. It's a little fuzzy though.

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    almost looks like it might have been fretted at one time, or is it just lined? Haven't seen a lot of fretlesses with the position marker dots on the front of the fretboard.... but I am probably wrong.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can see why you tihnk that but i dont tihnk thats wat it is.

15. TVD

TVD

Jul 14, 2004

It's just lined. The marker "dots" as you call them on the front of the fret board actually look like a lightening bolt design, or close to it. I couldn't get a good clear pic of them though. Trent

16. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    It's definitely a Sanskrit letter, but it's a little different than the "om" that is usually used - om should have what looks like a crescent moon on its side with a dot over it on the top. But there are all kinds of variants and a bunch of Sanskrit letters. So, maybe it's supposed to be "om" but they screwed up, maybe it's a different, less common way of writing "om", or maybe it's a different letter!