1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ID this vintage amp !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pnut166, Oct 6, 2010.

1. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Anyone know what it is ? There are no identifying marks on it. Has what appears to be a matching 215 cab.

Attached Files:

• amp.jpg
      amp.jpg
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
  2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Montgomery Ward?

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Sears Silvertone amp kit?

4. Sears Silvertone was going to be my guess.

5. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    not worth much, I`m guessing.

6. Hi.

SS or tube?
    How much power? Even the draw would be helpful.
    What's the asking price?

And most importantly:

Can You test how does it sound??

Vintage rigs, especially matching head and cab(s) are always worth something.

Regards
    Sam

7. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Tube. He doesn`t know power output. Havent heard it. Cool looking rig, though.

Attached Files:

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Have you asked what the type number of those power tubes is?

9. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I haven`t. I don`t know anything about it, or really tube amps in general - haven`t seen it in person. Apparently, he doesn`t know anything about it either.

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Looks like 4 6l6 or el34 and 3 ecc80 somethings either way its about 100 watts.
    The most important thing to know is what output impedance's it offers on its output transformer windings and how they are switched to match speaker loads.
    I think it will sound very good. As its probably the nearest thing to a fender bassman 100 the original? manufacturer thought he could get away with.:bassist:

11. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Looks very similar to a Montgomery Ward's amp I had as a kid. It was marketed with a picture of the Cryin' Shames using matching guitar/bass rigs of this type.

12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
  13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    And if all is working, those three slits across the top should light up.

Edit: That head would be worth quite a bit to a guitar player.

14. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Oh man -- worth the price for that feature alone! (I'm being serious.)

15. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    hmmm...very curious now. The face is the same as Dbase`s linked pic of the guitar version, but the knobs have different functions. On the one in the pic, the knobs on right are reverb and tremelo controls. From what I can tell in my pics, it`s simply a two - channel layout with Vol, bass, treble on ea. channel. He said he was going to the church today and would try to get the specs. He said it works perfectly, is in really good condition, and sounds great. He also has the matching cover.

16. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    found an identical head on another website. This is lifted from there: " Seller says 80 watts with four 6V6 but that sounds a little generous. More like 30-40 watts (think AC30 if tubes are in Class A not push-pull) - however there is a good chance this amp can also take 6L6 tubes (cathode Bias? Fixed?) so you'd have to check As it is I bet if you crank it up it sounds like Sweet-Mother-Of-God tube crunch. There may be a diode rectifier in this one. Note that this is a real P-T-P amp (there is no tag board) versus simply hand-wired. Don't make em like this anymore. Also Note: This is Montgomery Ward not Airline - just a branding issue but would matter to some.">>>>>Not to sound stupid; I know nothing about tube amps or obscure vintage gear. Is this actually a bass amp, or a guitar amp that a bass player is using ? Does it matter ?

17. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Not sure, but I'd guess it's Montgomery Ward's answer to the Silvertone 1483 bass head because of the absence of Rev & Trem.

That thing was likely made by Valco and would made gui****s' pants get tighter.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably not. They were very poor quality amps. A friend of mine went through three of them in less than a month, he finally gave up on them and got a Fender. Some Sear's Silvertones were fairly good, being re-badged Dan Armstrong amps. The Monkey Ward stuff was not.

19. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    My first guess was a National branded one, but a MGW sounds right too.

20. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Ah well, it got sold last night before I could go see it anyway. FWIW, he was asking $300 obo, which seemed a great price based on others I saw after you guys steered me in the right direction - I was basically getting the cab free. Also, bass amps live on forever on my local CL - they just absolutely do not sell in my neck of the woods unless you just give them away. This one sold in less than 24 hrs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021