Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idea - Adding neck pup to SUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireAarro, Sep 5, 2004.

1. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I was thinking of getting a SUB because I like the tone, but I thought I might like/want/need the extra versatility of two pickups. Anyone have an idea of how a J pickup in the neck position of a SUB would work? I figured if it sucked I could remove it and cover the rout with the pickguard or something.

2. Why not by a Bongo with a humbucker - single coil?
    But I think your idea is possiblem

3. I would do the thing to the SUB, and as for the bongo, it's the most hideous bass ever made. It's like a big over grown pineapple. Urgggg.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Who doesn't like pineapples?

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Bongos are sexy.

And expensive.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. At least more expensive than a SUB.

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yeah. Not expensive compared to them boutique basses of course.

8. embellisher

Nice, mature comment there.

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    But, funnily, soooo accurate! :D ;)

10. I just spoke my mind, I think it looks like a pineapple. Now, I like pineapples, but to eat, but not in the shape of a bass, it's weird.

11. I like carrots more. :p

12. embellisher

Too bad that you are so closeminded that you will never try one. Blows away any Warwick that I have ever played. In playability, ergonomics, and most importantly, tone. And Ernie Ball actually created an original design, instead of copying or outright ripping off somebody else's.

13. We should have a TB Boxing forum or something so everyone can get out all of these feelings. =) Anyways, on topic, have you tried a Lakland Skyline? It seems to be what you are looking for for just about the same amount of cash. Good Luck and tell us what you decide!

EDIT: Just wanted to add I was talking about a 44-02 (picture below). Forgot about the price though, so you might be better off justing adding the pick-up. Anyways, good luck.

[​IMG]

14. Pineapple shape? Naw, toilet seat shape is more like it, but damn the design grows on ya! Plus it is one HELL of a bass. I think you need to look at more pineapples before saying it looks like one...unless they got toilet shaped pineapples over there in England that I'm un-aware of.

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    [​IMG]

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In all fairness, if you don't like the look of a bass, why would you buy it or ever try it? I wouldnt consider buying an ugly car or house even if it had many other redeeming features.

Looks, playability and tone are all subjective - IMO closeminded is also not reaslising that.

Wishnevsky makes original designs without copying or ripping anybody off and from all accounts, they are pretty bad basses. OTOH Sadowsky makes an excellent bass that copy's an existing design.....

17. this coming from a kid who wants a warwick vampire? i think you dont really have an opinion on good looking basses...i think bongo's are sexy, same as kubickis

18. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i agree bongos are ugly, and i dont think they sound or play nearly as well as people on this board say that do, hows that for mature. Ive had 2 ernie balls, a warwick and played a trillion other basses. I think bongos are nice enough but for the hype they had to live up 2 i was expecting a little more. When i heard they were re-releasing the sabre i was gonna be first on that waiting list to get one. I was let down i guess is why i dont like them. Ive passed up many a good deal at my local store on one too. Id say your idea about the SUB is a great one and ive seen it done to a stingray with mixed results. Make sure you know exactly where you want to put that pickup cuz it does matter. Unless you hate the bongo though you should look into one. By the time you buy a 700 SUB have a lutheir route a new pickup, buy a new pickup and electronics, you may be in close range to a used bongo though.

19. In my experience Musicman are boring characterless piles of crap but that's my opinion. I think my warwick would eat your Bongos for breakfast and have room for a 'Ray. Mine growls, I like growl, so that's why i like warwick! :p :bassist:

20. You sure you were playing Musicman? Oh, and the Ibanez BTB405 growl blows away any warwick growl I've ever heard.