1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Idea for a Bass rig - thoughts please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jamco, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Jamco

Jamco

Jul 7, 2007
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to build my first bass rig for rehearsals and small-medium sized gigs.

I'm thinking of getting a Gallien-Krueger 400RB IV Head and hooking it up to a Peavy 410 TVX 4 ohm head. I don't want an overly heavy or bulky bass rig, thus I would prefer a single cab setup.

Please could I have your opinions/further suggestions? And feel free to rubbish the setup (as I am new to the world of bass heads and cabs!).

cheers

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    My opinion is that if you don't want too heavy a rig, the TVX might not be the best cab for you (96 lbs).

3. Jamco

Jamco

Jul 7, 2007
    Can you suggest a lighter 4 by 10 cab that would match the GK 400 RB IV head?

Also, would a single cab setup with this amp be okay for rehearsals and medium to small gigs?

4. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I use the GK 400RB IV as a rehearsal head (I run it through a Mesa 1x15). It's a great little head for the money, and loud for it's wattage rating. I think it would work out nicely for you.

As for cabs, there are a lot of decent 4x10 cabs out there that weigh less than 96lbs. just do a little shopping around and see what you can come up with.

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Unfortunately, you didn't fill your profile yet, so I don't know whether you play 4-string, 5-string, etc... This is quite important when it comes to help you choose a 4x10.

Ashdown lately have released the MAG414T, which is the same as the MAG410T but in 4 ohm. But if you play 5-strings or more, I'd suggest you try it out with attention before buying. If you play 4-string, I'd say go for it, it will rock the house at a very affordable price.

6. Jamco

Jamco

Jul 7, 2007
    thanks guys

fishtx - would the GK 400 head be okay for small-medium sized gigs?

JayAmel - I play a Fender Jazz 4 string passive - perhaps to be replaced by a Musicman 4 string?

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    You can't go wrong there ;)

No matter what the specsheets say, the Ashdown MAG cabs are punchy and decently defined for the price (you can't compare a MAG410T with, say, an Eden D410XLT, of course). I toured for two years with a MAG300 head and a MAG210T cab (with a Musicman 5 string) with no trouble and always hearing me perfectly on stage (including on large stages).

8. Jamco

Jamco

Jul 7, 2007
    Do you know of European or UK stockists for the Ashdown MAG414?

9. unfun

unfun

Jul 18, 2007
    Sydney
    i would say go maybe if ur doing small-medium maybe even going an Ampeg BXT210M, its a 2x10 but its got 400W behind it, its light and got power even morso than some of the 4x10s and its ampeg so ur looking at quality and less of a quantity!

10. unfun

unfun

Jul 18, 2007
    Sydney
    i would say go maybe if ur doing small-medium maybe even going an Ampeg BXT210M, its a 2x10 but its got 400W behind it, its light and got power even morso than some of the 4x10s and its ampeg so ur looking at quality and less of a quantity! (if you play 5 string get a 15 inch aswell for the bottom end