Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idea for a new rocking rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Feb 8, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've heard of other bass players running one cab distorted and the other clean. I'm playing in a new punk rock type band and we only have one guitar player (it seems like two can be one too many, though many punk bands have two).

I would, however, like to be able to fill out the sound a bit with my bass. Right now I have two Avatar CB112s and one B410. I was thinking of making the 410 be a distorted side and leaving my 2 12s clean while making it all on/off switchable.

So along with my regular pedalboard (wah, big muff, octaver, volume pedal), I'm going to have a smaller one on an ABY box that has a Hughes & Kettner tube factor pedal and goes out to my QSC.

Meanwhile I'll have the regular pedalboard go to my Mesa. With the ABY box, I could select either my Mesa or my H&K/QSC or both all on the fly.

One concern, am I going to need a DI or an outboard pre to go with the H&K to make it's level appropriate for my QSC? I don't care about it having a good low end as I'm trying to make it sort of fill in for guitar during solos etc.).

Do you guys think this is a rediculous idea? Anybody else do this? It seems like it will take a bit more setup, but I'm still gonna give it a try at practice to see how it sounds.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You'll need something that will take the level of your distorted side up to the level that the PLX needs to make full power (or at least in the vacinity).

Since sacrificing a bit of low end in the distortion chain might not be a bad thing, perhaps you can consider an Ebtech Line Leveler. They're available at www.zzounds.com and they're not too expensive. The device is passive and coverts a -20dBV instrument level signal up to a +4 dBU line level signal.

If I were doing what you're doing, I completely disconnect the tweeter in the 4x10. I've heard of people having trouble with L pad (tweeter level control) burnout if they turn their Avatar tweeters all the way down...and distortion through tweeters sounds pretty bad...in a bad way ;)

I tried a similar setup one time with my two channel Pearce BC-1 preamp...the distorted channel (or actually a blend of clean and mean) was sent to one side of my PLX then off to a 1x15 EVM. The clean channel went to the other PLX channel and an Acme B2. With the footswitch, I could add distortion to the 15 without affecting the Acme. It sounded quite good.

Have fun and please keep us posted on your progress!!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Sweet, I dug up an old M-Audio audiobuddy 2 channel DI/mic pre. All I need is an inexpensive ABY pedal and I'm ready to try this out.

I had another idea. My guitarist has an old Fender 2x12 guitar cab. Rather than disconnecting my tweeter, what if I just gave the distorted side a guitar EQ and put it through a guitar cab? Now I'm getting excited. Can't wait until thursday to try this out.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Cool...make sure you roll off the low end on the distorted side or you'll have some very unhappy guitar speakers :D

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    One thing: overdrive IMHO sounds better with 12s, so i'd run the 410 clean. :hyper:

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good point...but Billy Sheehan, Doug Pinnick and Tim Commerford (to name a few) seem to do OK running distortion through 10s.

The Ox ought to know about 12s though ;) :D