Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idea for a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 22, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Have you ever heard of or thought of a pedal that acts like one of those pedals on the piano. Its the pedal that if you press down and hit a note it will hold onto that note and then you can play other notes and it still holds that one note that you played, w/o you having to hold the key down?

I thought this would be helpful for playing songs like piano sonata on bass without having to tap.

Any Ideas?

~JB~

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A digital delay can sometimes do this...

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    An ME-50B can do this with it's expression pedal IIRC.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even better if it looks like a sustain pedal IMO.

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    How can you get a digi-delay to do this?

Any examples of single pedals that will do this?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, try a boss.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Could you explain how exactly I could make it hold the note like that? I dont quite understand :confused:

8. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    On the ME-50B just turn the expression pedal control knob to sound hold, play the note, then depress the pedal halfway. (Might have to activate the pedal first, but i forget)

9. what about synth pedals?
    they wouldn't be such a bad idea i don't think

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah BOSS has that synth bass...hate synth bass sounds tho. Do you think I could find a setting on it that would hold the note and give off a completely natural sound? I dont think so. Why dont they just have a straight up sustain pedal like for piano?!?!?! :spit:

11. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Dude, what i'm telling you DOES give off a natural sound so long as you don't add effects. It's a simple note sustain.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So, why do you need sustain? Is this something technique can't cover?

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Learn two-handed tapping and save some money.

14. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the syb-5 bass synth has the sound hold function but honestly i dont use it (or the pedal) that much

15. BOSS MAKE AN EFFECT CALLED THE FEEDBACKER WHICH YOU CAN GET ON A COMPACT PEDAL CALLED DF-2 (WITH DIST) OR ON THE GT3 (PROBABLY GT5/GT6/GT8 BUT NEVER SEEN THEM SO NOT 100% SURE)

WHEN YOU HOLD DOWN THE CTRL PEDAL (GT3) THE NOTE YOU ARE PLAYING SINGS AS LONG AS YOU HOLD THE PEDAL DOWN ALLOWING YOU TO PLAY OTHER NOTES OR CHORDS OVER THE TOP.

16. no i didn't mean that kind of synth pedal, i meant the kind that is basically an octave of piano keys that you control with your foot...

17. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    No, what you want is the Sustainiac Model C . There are some basses with the Fernandes system, but they're rare.

18. i think the synth pedals you mean are made by roland not boss.

do a search for the roland pk-5.

i used to have a set of them.

19. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    You can't tap with both hands freely if you're using one of them to hold down a note. Not too mention the fact that unless your bass has a fernandez sustainer in it, the note won't sustain for as long as it would on a piano.

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It takes one finger to hold a sustained note, by my count that leaves you 7 other fingers and a thumb that could easily be used to tap. If the note is a open string, than you would have even more mobility.

Sorry, I guess I never needed to sustain the same note for ten minutes.