Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idea for my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjedi, Feb 27, 2002.

1. I wonder.....if I got a new MIM P-bass and took out the pickups, routed some more and dropped in a MM style p-up.

Any thoughts on how this would sound, look, etc.?

2. Here is what it might look like.(small crappy edited picture)

[​IMG]

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nice idea, but what sound are you going for?
    If it's successful, you'll get a more powerful Fender, but NOT a P with a Musicman sound.

4. I'm going for the P sound but with a little more punch.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    get a seymour duncan quarter pounder replacement and new electronics.

6. Do you mean as opposed to adding a mm pickup?

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think he meant the 1/4 pounders instead of the MM. You could try a Hot Rodded American Fender, the ones with a P style pup in the normal location and then a J pup at the bridge position like on Jazz Basses. I think that would have more punch than a common P bass. You could also try basses with the existing MM style pup. I don’t know if the MTD Kingston comes in a 4 string but Ive heard great things about them.

8. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    What about an MIM P w/ a MM type at the bridge position? Would it sound close to the MIA Deluxe P? And also, does anyone market a pickup replacement the same size as the MIA Deluxe P bridge pup?

Thanks

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sorry....yeah, i meant just replace your existing p with a replacement quarter pounder p...they're really great systems and they're hot, too...lots of punch

10. But then I wouldn't have to rout out space for new pickups and would still have a normal p-bass.:( I have been thinking about putting some of those in on my existing p-bass.

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You really just wanna cut some holes in your bass dont you?

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ahhhh.....so you _want_ to cut your bass up. yeah, get a seymour duncan mm exposed pole triple coil pup....they're pretty mean...get the 3 band 18v elex, too...great system.

13. Well it would probably be the only way to justify getting another P. I wanted to try a P-bass special five and my wife said..."Don't you have one just like that?" So I doubt she would go for another P but with different pups.