Idea for my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjedi, Feb 27, 2002.

1. I wonder.....if I got a new MIM P-bass and took out the pickups, routed some more and dropped in a MM style p-up.

Any thoughts on how this would sound, look, etc.?

2. Here is what it might look like.(small crappy edited picture)

[​IMG]

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nice idea, but what sound are you going for?
    If it's successful, you'll get a more powerful Fender, but NOT a P with a Musicman sound.

4. I'm going for the P sound but with a little more punch.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    get a seymour duncan quarter pounder replacement and new electronics.

6. Do you mean as opposed to adding a mm pickup?

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think he meant the 1/4 pounders instead of the MM. You could try a Hot Rodded American Fender, the ones with a P style pup in the normal location and then a J pup at the bridge position like on Jazz Basses. I think that would have more punch than a common P bass. You could also try basses with the existing MM style pup. I don’t know if the MTD Kingston comes in a 4 string but Ive heard great things about them.

8. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    What about an MIM P w/ a MM type at the bridge position? Would it sound close to the MIA Deluxe P? And also, does anyone market a pickup replacement the same size as the MIA Deluxe P bridge pup?

Thanks

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sorry....yeah, i meant just replace your existing p with a replacement quarter pounder p...they're really great systems and they're hot, too...lots of punch

10. But then I wouldn't have to rout out space for new pickups and would still have a normal p-bass.:( I have been thinking about putting some of those in on my existing p-bass.

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You really just wanna cut some holes in your bass dont you?

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ahhhh.....so you _want_ to cut your bass up. yeah, get a seymour duncan mm exposed pole triple coil pup....they're pretty mean...get the 3 band 18v elex, too...great system.

13. Well it would probably be the only way to justify getting another P. I wanted to try a P-bass special five and my wife said..."Don't you have one just like that?" So I doubt she would go for another P but with different pups.