1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Idea for practice head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Dec 17, 2018.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have one of those little Dean Markley tiny guitar practice amps that come with starter guitar packs (says it's 40 watts, which I find hard to believe). I am thinking of removing the amp, putting it in a case from scrap plywood, and using it with a 15" cab to use as a practice amp, or for rehearsal with my jazz band - give myself an extra head so I don't have to unpack my others. Will this provide enough power and sound decent?

Thanks.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Speaker efficiency is your friend here; but on the flip side as well the Rumble 40 is a popular amp so 40 watts might be fine.

One possibility is that its current speaker is 4 ohm. If so, unless your planned 15 cab is 4 ohms you wont really even get 40 watts.

Of course I say do it anyway just because....

Shielding is another possible issue. You may find that removing the chassis from its current box turns the head into a CB radio reciever.

(Do it anyway; those kinds of projects are so fun! )

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Well, the thing to do is to divert the speaker lead into a switched jack socket installed on the back of the cabinet and try it into a 15in extension cab. Then you'll know what it sounds like and how loud it gets.

My suspicion is that you may find the tone controls inadequate, but only one way to find out.

As for volume, in a small to medium room probably fine unless your jazz band is brass heavy, again the experiment will tell.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Thanks. Again, it's primarily for a practice amp, but I may just leave it in the rehearsal room where the jazz band meets (just a quintet). Otherwise the amp is just being wasted sitting in my closet.