1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Idea inputs for a Carvin B40 kit build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwitchGear, May 31, 2012.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I got a jones to put together another Carvin kit bass, this time a 4 stringer. Looking at the Carvin.com website at the guitar parts link, there is the B40k build link. I am looking to order a body wood to stain and clear finish, not paint and to be a unique bass, not a plain jane.

Anyone care to share ideas on your wood, neck, and hardware choices?

I'm all ears.

2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I've been looking at those kits myself. For a clear finish I'd personally go with an ash body.

3. +1 for swamp ash. Finish it with Tru-oil and it should look great!

4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Yo Koa body, flamed maple fingerboard, MM style and HB50 humbuckers, stainless steel jumbo frets, no inlays on the fingerboard. sweet!

5. ash and koa both look great with an oil/clear-coat finish

6. Walnut looks great natural. Neck material is less visually important (IMHO) as you only see the back.

Koa is beautiful.

Every other bass made seems to be clear-coated Ash, so if you're looking for something unique, that may not be it. Unless you go with some really tricked out stain color/process.

For a little extra $$, you can order it unrouted, then put whatever pickups you want wherever you want. But check the price. After a bunch of upgrades, you might be getting close to what the bass would cost already assembled from the Factory.

7. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I did a B5 in ash in the past so I am looking for something different this time. I'm pondering a walnut neck/body or a mahogany neck/body combo. That or a 5 piece neck in walnut or mahogany with a matching wood body. Maybe gold hardware.

8. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    $200 for a koa body or $400 for koa body/neck.

Ouch.

9. Alder actually looks good in natural as long as it's a good body of semi matched grain. Some ash bodies are just matched horribly and with the grain being so strinking, it makes it 10 times worse. I love mahogany in a stained satin finish. Only downside can sometimes be weight.