Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Idea to a new sticked post

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Human Bass, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I was thinking that would be very useful a sticked post with basic descriptions of the majority of woods used in our beloved basses. Many times I see a lot of cool basses here that uses more rare woods and I cant imagine how the wood change the sound, affect the tone, etc. It would be also a great help for newbies.

2. I think this is a great idea. As a new bass player, I think having a permanent list of neck, fingerboard, and body woods and their commonly associated tonal properties would be very useful.

Obviously there is a complex art in using wood combos to get a tone, but it seems to me that info. on the most common production line materials like ash, maple, rosewood, bubinga, etc. would help out newbies like myself when choosing a bass(especially if you're ordering online).

3. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    For example...If you go to Tobias site they say that pau ferro and wenge are the best fingerboards, Alembic says ebony, Bee Bass says purpleheart...I feel so :confused:

4. Maybe in the luthier forum? otherwise stickys would crowd up here.

5. Just go to the Warmoth site.

6. Everyone has their opinions on best tone and what each wood brings out in terms of tonal qualities (another factor in that many bass builders have different sounds); but a lot of 7+ ERB luthiers recommend purpleheart/multilaminate necks because of it's stability and strength to be able to support so much tension.

And then there's zon who doesn't even use wood in the neck *shrug* different strokes for different folks. I guess since this site serves as such a focal point for a lot of people it wouldn't be a bad idea for such a sticky... it'd get complex when adding multiple woods together depending on how detailed one wanted to get etc. That and each wood is cut from a different tree so sometimes it can share/provide different tonal opportunities with each cut of wood.... just a thought.