Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheChariot, Jul 7, 2004.

1. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Wow... ok... a bunch of you probably read about my little rig problem before. I just got a really weird and unorthodox idea that a bunch of you probably wont like... but gimme some feedback on it, good or bad.

What if I were to pick up an SVT-3, and then use my B2R as a power amp only? I mean... I already have a B2R... Stay with me here...

The 3 Pro would be powering the BXT410.... 450Watts. Then I could route the B2R in, and use it to power the BXT115 at 350Watts. I know they're 2 VERY different amps.... but the Tube preamp would still be reaching the BXT115, no?

I really dont know all the ins and outs of hooking it up.... but I do know that its gotta be possible. The only real potential flaw I see in this is bad sound (which I'm hoping someone will inform me about here), and the limited upgrade possibility.

See.... I was thinking of the SVT-4. I could pair that with my speakers at 980 Watts, and then in the future if I need more power, I could pick up an 810E. 1200Watts... no fuss, no muss. With the 3pr0/B2R combination, I'd have 800Watts, and really no way to get any more. Thing is... I'd have the 3pro preamp (which I like, after hearing it) and an added power amp to power my second cab (since the 3pro doesnt operate @ 2ohms).

lol... ok... maybe I'm dreaming a little here. If so... then lemme know. I'm still kinda new at this thing. I'm just kinda thinking economically I guess. BUT.... tell me if it is possible... and also tell me what things to expect if I try and pull this thing off. THANKS!

2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hmm. Seems alittle overkill. Not too bad of an idea though, considering you can pick up a used B2R very cheap. I think you should just get a head that goes down to 2 ohms. As far as which head, refer to my signature.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ah, but you see... that is the beauty of it all. I already have a B2R. If I didnt, I wouldnt even bother with such a weirdo rig.
  4. It's a fine idea and not unconventional at all. I don't know how it's done these days but before the power amp craze pro's would chain multiple heads using one as the pre exactly the way you are thinking.

Just connect the pre-out of the svt3 to the power in of the b2r and you're set.
  5. This would only be a practical idea if you are feeding 4 ohm loads to each head, otherwise it wouldn't result in much gain.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Like Muzicman said, If both your BXT cabs are the 4 ohm version that would work. Why not just trade up to a B4r or SVT 4? Both have stereo power amps in one box.
  7. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Or, there is the B5r, which is 500w@2ohms. Much cheaper.
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, if there's a TONAL reason you want to do it, then fine... Otherwise, just save your cookies & upgrade.
  9. Just get a Mesa Big Block 750. It will run at 2 Ohms, has overdrive, and sweet tone. Thats just my opinion of course.
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, my cabs are each 4ohms. I think it would sound sweet, because I would get the semi-tube sound of the 3 Pro, and yet I'd have more than the standard 450Watts.

I mean.. it obviously wasnt my first choice. Immediately when I discovered my speakers were severely underpowered, my brain said "Stereo amp!" So... maybe I should just go with one of those.

The B4R seems pretty cheap for it's output... but I'm not sold on the tube emulation deal. Also... would I be able to mono-bridge with the B4R Safely? That would put 500Watts to each cab, I believe... and the BXT115's Program output is 600Watts.

Another thought I had was of course the SVT4. 490Watts to each cab would be almost the same as mono-bridging the B4R... plus I'd have the ability to upgrade (even if it only meant picking up another 410 cab).

I'd consider the B5R, but my local Guitar Center doesnt seem to have one available to price or try.

And... I kinda got this 3 Pro idea when I was thinkin about how much power I'd need down the road. 800Watts seems like it would get me through (In a metalcore act). I've heard it live through an 810E and it seemed to hold its own.

Another question. I realize everyone's sound preference is different.... but do you think there is a lot of tonal flexibility in the SVT3? Because thats the impression I get from it. It's supposedly a "Tube Hybrid" and such.... which is likely why they've only given it 450Watts.
  11. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I was lookin to try one, but there's none at friggon Guitar Center. They're friggon WHIPPED by Ampeg, it seems.
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    :scowl: Is this trend ever gonna die?

Just take the cabs back, get an Ampeg 8x10, a Sansamp DI, and a GK 800RB or 1001RB-II.

Thats what all hardcore bands are playing through now...

oh, and don't forget the Jazz Bass.
  13. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think I'm gonna scrap the idea I had with the 3 Pro. It seems over-elaborate.

So as of now, I was thinking for the 4 Pro... but I checked out some of the QSC gear, and it looks impressive. I remember someone suggesting I pick up a QSC in my previous thread.

Does anyone have experience with a QSC power amp? (I'd probably get the RMX1450)
  14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If you like the 4-pro why dont you go with that?! Honestly most of the time you will only need one cab and when the gig is HUGE you can use both. I would run the amp bridged into the speakers. Forget stereo unless you are using stereo effects. Keep it simple man! I also read that you were entertaining the idea of a pre/power amp setup. Here I would recomment the same thing... bridge the amp into one speaker most of the time and add the second when you are playing the hockey arena! Just my $.02. :D
  15. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well... its not that one cab isnt enough power/volume for me... its just that I like to add the 1x15 because of the low end. The 410 does have a little boom to it... but as of now it's carrying mostly mids. I've tried my friends B4R in stereo, and it was AWESOME having the extra UUMPH of the 1x15. :cool: