1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ideal action for slap bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rakuenso, Oct 1, 2006.

1. rakuenso

rakuenso

Sep 17, 2006
    hi guys i'm a bit of a bass newb still, so here's my Q on slap bass, i own a fender mim j-bass

anyways i find it difficult to slap on, for example when i slap on an open string, its doable. But if i fret anything, it becomes much harder to slap (And sometimes no sound is made, only a thud of sorts) it's much harder to slap on the A string than the E string.

anyways, for all you slap bassists, how do your action look? mine is pretty low right now.. and i feel that i'm not really giving the strings a chance to vibrate when i slap it

anyone?

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    yeah you want low action. slapping is all in the wrist, a twisting motion. unless ur double thumping it's a bit different. but regular slap u gotta have ur thumb slap off the string, if it just lays down on it the strings not gonna vibrate.

3. rakuenso

rakuenso

Sep 17, 2006
    i'm trying to get the punchy sound, but sometimes no sound is made

4. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    sometimes u don't get a sound is what makes me think ur muting the string with your thumb or the palm part of ur thumb comes down and rests on the string,

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    slap near the end of the neck

6. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    My action was low too and I found slaping a bit difficult, raised it a bit and it sounds awesome now, but each to his own.I say experiment and see whats best for you.

7. Medium low action, and I would spend a few $ on a slap lesson from a pro so you dont start doing it wrong.

www.musicdojo.com used to have slap lessons.

8. rakuenso

rakuenso

Sep 17, 2006
    Can you actually take a ruler and give me a measurement at the end of the neck?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021