Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ideal humidity and buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Snarf, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Two questions:

1. What is the ideal humidity for basses?

2. My Carvin just started buzzing at the nut when I play D, Eb, And E on the G string. Neck is fine, looks like it has just the slightest curve, which is good. Any ideas?

If this is the wrong forum, please move. Didn't know whether this would fall under "Setup" or not.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not too dry, not too humid... 40% < x < 60%, but it's just a guess

There were some threads where it turned out that the string was at a wrong breaking angle. A bigger angle worked in many cases.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the response.

Can you clarify what a "breaking angle" is and how to adjust it?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you look at the string, it's a straight line from the bridge to the nut (if it's tuned up, that is ;) ), but at the nut, it changes angle as it goes to the tuner. That is the breaking angle.

How to adjust it?
    Either get a new string, leave it longer then the previous one, and wind it lower, nearer to the bottom of the tuner to have a bigger angle. Or rewind the string like this.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Setup...

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Nah, it's not fret buzz, the sound is coming from the nut. Every day the intensity of it seems to change. Out here, we just went from a couple 80-degree days to 50 degree days. CT is f'd up!

So I'll adjust the breaking angle first (seems to be pretty high on all the strings), and if the buzzing doesn't stop when the weather starts to be more consistent, I'll take it to get its truss rod tweaked.