1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideal instrumentation for a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    What would be your ideal instrumentation for a band?

I'd love to play in a huge band, Allman-esque, with two guitars, two drummers, bass, and keys (Hammond and Rhodes!).

I'd also love to just play with bass and acoustic guitar.

And as far as for a conventional band, I wish that the four-piece I was in (vocals, guitar, bass, drums) had the vocalist playing keyboards. I think they add a ton to the sound.

Anyone?

2. A guitarist or piano player, drummer, and obviously, a bassist.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    There is no 'right' answer to this. It all depends.

My longest term band was a four piece: Bass-Keys-Drums-Guitar, with the Keyboardist and me singing. I liked that setup.

But once we had a show with added guests on stage. So that day it was Bass-Guitar-Other Guitar-Keys-Drums-Congas and Bongos-Alto Sax-Tenor Sax-Trumpet-Trombone, with Me, the extra 'guest' guitarist, my keyboardist, and all four horn players singing. It was awesome, but would be too much for a regular thing.

And I have done several open mic type things with just me and my guitarist. Sometiimes I played bass. Sometimes I played my 12-string. Bass and Guitar =good. Guitar and other guitar =still pretty good.

All were awesome, in their own way.

4. I have no ideal line-up; it's just about the players you have, the music you want to play, and the sound you want to get.

I'm having fun with a little side project I'm working on with ABG, electric guitar, accordion, and percussion, playing sort of chamber-jam-jazz-folk stuff

5. For years, I was always about the 2 guitars, bass, drums. Around 4 years ago or so, a keyboardist joined my band at the time- I wasn't against it, but I wasn't pleased. It didn't take a long time for me to be pleased and beyond. My next project, if I put it together, will probably be 2 guitars, bass, keyboard and drums.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've always liked rock trios with a basic setup of guitar, bass, and drums, but with keyboards and other instruments finding their way into the mix via one or more members doubling or tripling up live or in the studio (like Rush and the Police.) I just kind of like that minimal-personnel-with-maximum-output kind of mentality.

7. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Vocalist/guitarist + leadguitarist + drummer + bassist

Ideal metal fourpiece

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've always wanted to try bass, fiddle, drums, sax.

Other than that I like the bass, 1 guitar, drum thing.

Vocals on either or none at all.

9. The lineup for my main band last year was drums, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, accordion, fiddle, mandolin, tin whistle.

The best part was, there was still a ton of space in the music and nobody was stepping on anyone else's feet. Everything sounded really full, there was always something interesting going on, but it all seemed to be complimentary as opposed to competing. I think it's easier to lay back and play a lot less notes with more people involved than it is with a three piece, since you don't have the temptation to try to fill every gap.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Big band, baby.

Piano
    Bass
    Drums
    2x Alto
    2x Tenor
    Baritone
    3x Trumpet
    3x Trombone

For smaller groups, I like Piano, Bass, Drums, Guitar, Alto, and Trombone.

11. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    A drummer, a bassist/pianist/backup vocals, a lead guitarist/singer, a rhythm guitarist/backup vocal.

12. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The power trio is cool, but I really like to hear an 'accoustic' thing in the mix. PNO, Bass, Drums, Guitar, singer, and a horn (trumpet, sax, trombone) has a lot of different tone colors in it to have a variety that will not tire the listeners ears. (assuming that your audience is listening and not just responding to the beat).

The band I with now is the largest I've ever been in (except for the jazz big bands)

4 singers, trumpet, sax, trombone (also sings), Keyboard, Guitar (also sings), drums and of course Bass.

Lots of different combinations of sounds. We can cover disco, R+B and swing if we want.

But nothing is perfect. Pick your music, then get your players.

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

I like bass/rhythm guitar/lead guitar/drummer with either a seperate vocalist, a singing bassist, or a singing rhythm guitarist.

I also like bass/guitar/keys/drum/vox on either seperate or bassist/guitarist singing.

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Drums, Lead Vocals 2nd guitar optional.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I would love to be a part of a drums, bass, and guitar trio with little to no vox.

16. I prefer a trio all the way! Bass, guitar and drums w/someone or someones singing. It's simple, effective, easy to manage and there's lots of space to play in or leave empty. I generally speaking do not care to play in bands with two guitars (no space left) or keyboards (damn their left hands). But I'll admit that I like to hear myself when I play, lol - call it ego or whatever but if I'm gonna play I want a little room for myself!

17. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Personally, the essentials are possibley...

Bass
    Drums
    Guitar
    Guitar

Although, it'd be interesting to do a ska band...then trumpet/sax/the other instrument thats really long. Yeha, I suck with instrument names :p Blame Five Iron Frenzy...

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My current band is bass, drums, keys and one guitar who sings background. We also have a female lead singer, who just sings. We have experimented with two electric guitars before we got the keyboard player. I have to say that the combo of one guitar and keys is better than two guitars. Except that the key player never leaves space. We play "under the bridge" by RHCP and he even plays in the intro of that song. It drives me nuts.

An interesting combo would be one electric and one acoustic guitar, drums and bass.

I have been in a trio of just drums, bass and guitar. I loved the simplicity of it. Plus everyone gets paid more. Scheduling is easier etc.

19. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Alto
    Trumpet
    Keys
    Guitar
    Bass
    Drums

Sexy Sextet

20. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    +1 I play in a smaller combo now (aswell as my school's jazz band) And we have
    Bass
    tenor
    alto
    trombone
    drums
    We are looking for a keys player, and if possible a trumpet player, but keys is more important.