Ideal pickup height for Jag Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JT Foster, Oct 14, 2021.

1. JT Foster

JT Foster

Dec 27, 2014
    O’Fallon, MO
    Before you ask, I have read all of the previous threads I could find about pickup height.

My new Bass has medium-high action. I put it that way because I play pretty hard with a pick and it doesn’t buzz. Strings feel perfect, neck feels perfect. I started messing with pickup height because the Bass sounded a little boomy on the low end, and ear piercing on the high end with drive. I accidentally stripped one of the screws while trying to find my sweet spot. I ordered new screws, and I can get the stripped screw out whenever I need to; but I’m more hesitant to adjust pickup height because of this.

I read 2.8 on the treble side, and 2.0 on the bass side; but with the current string height this is impossible. I was too stupid to measure what it was before I adjusted them, so I honestly don’t even know where to start. I tried going off of sound, but I could only really tell a difference between all the way up and all the way down. The sound inconsistencies went away after I put them down more, but I can’t tell if they are too deep now.

What’s the height you guys have on your PJ setup? I’m just looking to find a starting place, especially for someone who plays aggressively with a pick. I’m pretty out of my depth here, as I don’t usually mess with the pickups. If you have a picture you could post of yours, I would greatly appreciate it. 4A8B91D2-9FBE-4454-9AEA-C690D9CA889E.jpeg

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    No one size fits all with pickup height. Experiment with it and draw your own conclusions.

bassdude51, 96tbird and NoiseNinja like this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Great advice.

The great Bill Lawrence said fret the last fret and put two nickels space between the strings and the pickup as a starting point. Tweak height and tilt to get even output across the strings, then adjust up and down to taste and to remove ill effects of the magnetic field: if the pickup is too close it can cause unwanted string dampening and or odd warbling sounds caused by the magnets too close.

Experiment.

JimmyM and 202dy like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022