Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ideal Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    What do you think the ideal Watt Power of a practice amp should be?

2. That really depends. People have called my pb-200 a practice amp, but then again I use it in auditoriums with no trouble.

It depends on your definition or practice amp. Some would say 15 watts, others 160.
    For playing alone, at least 12, but then again more's not going to hurt.

Do you mean practicing alone or with a band at low levels?

3. Oh btw, Bassvirtuoso13 ring a bell?;)

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'd say 20W

5. I have a Peavey Microbass, which works awesome for just practicing by myself. Once you throw in a band though it starts to become useless, but if its just for practice I would take a look at it.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    get a fender bassman 25.

7. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    i got myself a marshall b25 (watt) for just over £100

its got 2 inputs for active or passive bass,
    gain, 3 band eq, master and headphone socket.

it does for home practice, and at full blast will work at rehearsals too! (who can be bothered to lug their backline to rehearsal?)
    ;) hope this helps

8. There are alot of good practice amps out there for around 100 bucks new, that is if you mean practice without a band. Go plug a few in and see what ya think b4 you buy though.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Much louder than any other 25 watt amp on the market, handles the low B much better than any other small amp that I have tried, and I have used it to play at churches that seat 200 people and had no problem being heard.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    an other bassman vote.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I use an underated 160 for a practice amp, :). I just like to have a practice amp that doesn't have a bunch of noise, and sounds decent.