1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideal Synth Bass Cabs? - Trading What I Have

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jufros, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I just got a GK 410RBH and 115RBH in a really good trade today and I love them. I'm mostly playing electronica and hip hop at the moment, and these cabs really sound great with my pre/power amp rig. My real issue is their size, weight, and how difficult they are to transport. I'm thinking that I might be better off with some lighter and smaller Neo cabs but I'm really sure what would sound best. I need a pretty full range, low frequency response for sub octave stuff and enough high end response to give a lot of definition to filter sweeps and fuzzed sounds.

I do want to stick with 2x 8 ohm cabinet setup. Do you think the 1x15 and 4x10 combo is the right way to go? I'm also thinking about 2x12's. I could run a 1x15 and 2x12, two 2x12's, or a 2x12 and a 2x10. I'm looking for advice and experience here.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For this application, I definitely wouldn't use traditional one-way or two-way bass cabs. My personal preference would be to go with a pair of three-way cabs. A couple of fEarful-style cabs with the Eminence Kappalite 3015LF woofers (or 3012LF woofers, if you want to go a bit smaller), would be a great rig. A pair of Acme B2s could be very nice too, depending on how much air you want/need to move...:meh:

MM

3. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Yeah I've definitely thought about that. The thing is, I don't only play synth sounds by any stretch of the imagination, even in any of the electronica-leaning projects that I'm involved with. I need to have more diversity, which is why I'm not really considering subwoofers at the moment.

It would be great to have a setup for synth and a setup for "real bass," but I don't have the ability to transport that much gear. Plus, I rarely use cabs for recording and DI at venues to get massive sub frequencies FOH.

So I definitely need "bass" cabinets. I never really know what I'm going to be working on so I need as much flexibility in my setup as possible.

4. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Yeah man, I'd go with PA cabs.

5. Go for a fEarful design.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    with my little phatty, i'm using my aguilar gs112's, and they sound fine for me.

when i needed the extra volume kick for outdoor shows, i was using an acme b2 + b4 setup, and then realized after trying my phatty thru a rental eden cab that i liked the extra bit of thickness and umph i get w/ more voiced cabs. but dam, the low end hugeness was ridiculously awesome w/ those acmes. i did try using PA cabs, but i found myself dialing in lots of mids for extra wallop and punch cause it sounded rather flat without that extra bit of voiced cab action.

but sounds like you like major firepower. a pair of avatar neo 4x10's sound deep and thick. have dough, move up to a pair of bergantino ae410, which have a terrific psuedo ceramic mag like sound.

12" do sound smooth, but again, 10" seem to give the already overly smooth synth stuff a bit more kick and attack. i was debating on going w/ a 2x10 setup, but i really like how the gs112's sound w/ my setup. which again shows, despite some generalities in speaker size, makers do all sorts of interesting things to make their cabs sound as good as they do. and like we say often around these parts, you just have to hear a particular cab to really make a decision.

course, if you're NOT using your electric bass with this setup, just get a nice DI, and let the PA do the work. ;)

7. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    How do you feel about a 4x10 + 2x12 vs. 4x10 + 1x15 setup?

8. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    These fearful cabs look really really interesting. Does anyone know what it would cost to have one built in North Carolina?