1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideal Synth Bass Cabs? - Trading What I Have

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jufros, Oct 4, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I got a GK 410RBH and 115RBH in a really good trade and I love them. I'm mostly playing electronica and hip hop at the moment, and these cabs really sound great with my pre/power amp rig. My real issue is their size, weight, and how difficult they are to transport. I'm thinking that I might be better off with some lighter and smaller Neo cabs but I'm really sure what would sound best. I need a pretty full range, low frequency response for sub octave stuff and enough high end response to give a lot of definition to filter sweeps and fuzzed sounds.

I do want to stick with 2x 8 ohm cabinet setup. Do you think the 1x15 and 4x10 combo is the right way to go? I'm also thinking about 2x12's. The 15/6 and 12/6 designs have definitely piqued my interest as well but I'm not sure what the turnaround time with Low Down Sound would be.

2. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I have found good luck with JBL Powered PA equipment. Eons with the 18" sub and 15" full range really kick. The sub has a LPF in and HPF out so you can really use the full range without head room issues. A bit pricy, but there are good deals on the used older versions. I have the original ones.

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Moved to amps, I left a redirect in effects too.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Google 'Hoffman's Iron Law'. If you want to go low and loud then you either have to have large cabs or a lot of power, or both, so a smaller cab set-up might leave you shy on power. A 4x10/1x15 is not a good combination, as the 4x10 has both higher sensitivity and power handling than the 1x15, which is the opposite of what it should be if the 1x15 is intended to add to the system low frequency capability. In terms of getting the maximum low end with the minimum power a pair of 4x10s is the best route. Going with smaller cabs loaded with long throw 12s or 15s is an option, but their lower sensitivity means you two to four times as much power to reach the same output levels.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    might as well merge with his other post, too... ;)

6. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Actually just delete the other one if you don't mind. Thanks.