1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideal time between new strings and gig

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Challanger2, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    My band has our first gig tomorrow and I have a set of new DR DDT 45-105 set I'm going to put on my bass for the show. How early before the show should I put the new strings on to maximize sound quality and string freshness, while also giving the strings time to settle in so they don't shift during the gig?

2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    If you set them properly, I guess they are ready to go right away.
    I put strings couple of days earlier, in case a little setup is needed. Also, I don't like that "fresh out of box" sound, and a little practising helps with that.

3. Here's my method:
    Install new strings just before bedtime, tune them to pitch, and let them settle overnight. Re-tune them in the morning and go play!

Linnin likes this.
  4. As soon as possible.

3alfa3 likes this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Rotosound Swing Bass 66 = Install - Tune - Play - Recycle - Repeat.

For drop tuned strings; Install - Detune - Muggle. So what? Repeat.

6. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    You can tell by just breaking them in by playing. Once they’ve settled in, stretched out, Slack out of the tuning posts and backlash. You should be able to play hard and they stay in tune and the tension remains uniform between all of the strings. Probably an hour or so of play time.

7. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Of course, some time to settle is best for new strings' tuning to be stable. But I'm guilty of such shenanigans as playing the first set or first church service, thinking "I REALLY should have changed these strings!", then doing just that on the first break I have. Play 'em kinda hard for a few minutes, tune them, and take off for the next set or service. Tweaking the tuning as needed for first few songs.

Glutton for punishment?

8. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I never have issues with bass strings going out time. Guitar strings yes.