1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideas For 2015 Fender American Deluxe Precision P.U. Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Heavystringsguy, May 14, 2018.

1. I mean, is anything different because of the Active/passive system as far as what kind of pickups I can put it? do they have to be active and passive pickups because of the preamp electronics? If so, what are my options? Can't afford anything too boutique but I'm looking to see if I can make this bass sound even better.

2. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    You'll want passive pickups for that system. That's what's in there now. Active actually won't work too well with that preamp (but they will work, I've done it before).

My personal recommendation for pickups that are awesome for the money: DIMARZIO.
    Everything they make sounds great, it just depends on what vibe you're after.
    And actually, for a PJ set, you have 2 choices - The Area PJ and the Model PJ.
    - Areas are more Fender-like in their voice.
    - Model PJs are more modern, hi-fi sounding.
    Both have plenty of output, are humcancelling, and IME, much better than stock.

3. How can it be that an active system doesn't need active pickups? Cans someone please explain this to me?

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    In what way are you trying to make it sound better? What are you unhappy with about how it sounds now?

There is no electricity going to your pickups. Only your preamp. Some designs, EMG in particular, will have electricity going to the pickup.

5. Unless you get EMG's or something similar, a majority of all pickups are passive. You have an active preamp. The passive pickup sends sound to your preamp and you can use that to adjust your sound before it hits your amplifier. As for pickups, I'd suggest an Aguilar PJ set.

6. The pick ups sound fine but they are stock fenders and I have never experimented with PJ sets. I suppose it would be ideal to dial in an even more vintage/fat/motown/jamerson tone with a new P.

Very interesting. The last time I replaced pick ups was on an old LTD that came with EMG HZs that weren't cutting it. I replaced the electronics with a EMG active 4 band system, and then grabbed some EMG active hums. You're explanation makes a lot of sense honestly, that sounds good to me! I imagine there are a lot more passive pups on the market.

Please tell me about them! Later this afternoon I'm picking up the Tone Hammer DI/pre, if they sound anything like that I imagine they are more of a modern and very clear sounding set?

7. F2658632-8765-4BAE-B013-B4F19CFBDAB5.jpeg
    Not modern sounding at all. The P pickup is based off of a 1962 P. They’re incredible. I have them in a 5 String Jazz i modded.

Heavystringsguy likes this.
  8. Wow, well sounds like what I'm going for. I heard some clips on YouTube and they sound a little bright, 100% tone on the P, but really really fat and warm with the tone rolled off. Does that line up with your experience of the P pup?

9. I don’t think it sounds really bright at all. May have been the guys amp settings.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021