Ideas for a 24 inch scale bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grisezd, Dec 16, 2012.

1. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Hey all. I was made the gift of a really short (24in) scale neck. It had been in the attic of a long established music store that a friend of mine owns. I'm guessing that it was an unused replacement for a really cheap student bass, as there are no neck screw holes. Strange. I'd love to make something cool using it but am struggling a bit with a concept.

I play short scale (30in) and find it to be the lower limit of practical scale length for a steel stringed bass. I have strung up a 25in guitar with extra heavy bass strings to get the tension right. It was fun to play but sounded, er, tubby. Not satisfying. Maybe as the ratio of length to width approaches a square (not really) something un-musical happens. Who knows.

Here are some things I've given thought to:

U-Bass strings tuned EADG (can I get that sort of string in 24 in)

Short piccolo bass tuned EADG - Not sure what I'd do with that, as I've already got guitars

Long scale mandolin - could easily get 4 more tuners on the Fender-ish headstock

Some fun slide thing in an open guitar tuning, DADG or something

Throw me some ideas! I'm leaning towards the U-bass idea but am way open on this one.

Thanks,
    Dennis

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    sounds a little wiggy. I'll stick with EADG

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Turns out that the solid U-bass is 23in, and I've found strings that will accomodate 25in, so I think that's my direction. I'll post it up when it's done-ish.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021