Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ideas for a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Dec 29, 2001.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Like this one hasn't been done to death... here is the list of basses that I am looking into.

Lakland Skyline 55-01
    MTD Kingston 5
    Ibanez BTB 405
    Spector NS2000/Q5
    Conklin GT5
    Dean Rhapsody 8 string
    ESP LTD B208

So tell me what you think, positive, negative, otherwise, or just tell me what you would pick.. Obviously I am looking into a 5'er between 500$ and 800$... I am also looking for new. The 8 stringers are something I have looked at for a while. So let me know what you think!

P@

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say forget all but the MTD and the BTB...and between those...MTD on my part, but BTB is no slouch. Best bass in that range. IMHO.

3. I would have to agree.
    They are all good basses, but if price is your major concern, shop around. I'm sure you could find a good deal on the net. Don't go to MF for the BTB, they are $850, you can find them cheaper. I say this cuz I was thinking about getting one, but decided to go with a Yamaha BBG 5 string instead :p
    Also saved myself a bundle.

4. An 8-string and a 5-string are such incredibly different beasts, I have to ask, what are your reasons for wanting a new bass and what are you looking for in your new instrument?

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would say for the money the MTD is a great bass... i like it. i haven't played the conklin GT or the skyline.. but i'm sure they aren't too bad either

6. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I like htag think the 55-01 is a great deal :D

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Kinda hard for me not to go to MF, I work there.... you are looking at the 515, not the 405 like I listed.
    (Check Here) They start at 479.
    I would appreciate that, since the Lakland is really leading the show as far as getting the nod... I will kick you an email shortly!
    I am starting to get rid of some of the basses that I just do not play anymore... Mainly my Standard Fenders (MIM.) I am keeping my MIA Jazz and My Geddy Lee, along with my moded Steve Harris Pbass... As you can see, I am really stuck in one vein of sound, even with as variable as a Jbass can be... So the common theme to my list is basses that they don't sound like my Fender. I have other reasons, but I still want all of you to let me know what you would pick! One of the other reasons is the active circuitry... I have played with some circuits, and am starting to warm up to the idea... I know the Kingston is passive, but it stays in the list because of the positive buzz about the bass.

P@

8. hey, do pmkelly do you work at the MF outlet in KC?

I thought I remember your location used to be listed as KC....

If so, I'll probably drop in to visit some day when I'm back in town. How's the selection there?

Edit: And my suggestion would be the Kingston, Ibanez, or Lakland. I've never played the Lakland, but the other basses are excellent deals in that price range for sure!

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yes sir... guilty as charged!

Well, since the outlet store is for returns, then if you like BC Rich, Jacksons, and Squiers, then you are in luck... more than enough to go around! Now there are some nice ones there, like a Mike Lull Vintage 4, a 62? Jazz NOS, other assorted nice J and P Basses, and some nice amp stuff... Ampeg cabs, a couple of Edens... The selection for bass varies a good amount, and the good stuff usually flies out the door.... Let me know when you'll be around!

P@

10. Can't go wrong with an Ibanez. Check out the Soundear line. They're a good instrument.

11. I went in to the KC outlet back when they opened and walke out with a BSE 410HLF! I have been back probably 3-4 times since then, and have been pretty happy with what they have their, even though they do have a lot of pretty severly damaged stuff. Lots of good deals though! Might be there in the next week, maybe see you there!

jtbp

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If your price range is that much. I would go with a Spector NS2000/5 not a Q5 (The korean made neck thru pro series, kicks the butt off the q series, for a little more money). i think they are somewhere around the 800 mark.Ibanez makes great bass, like the BTB, EDB and EDC. Heck, even the soundgears are goodbasses, well, that is unless someone really good says they suck, then they just suck. :D

13. BTB, never regret to have it, very versatile, and with mid parametriq eq = result may vary ;)
    and i would pick LTD B208 for the 8str..

14. blendermassacre

blendermassacre Supporting Member

May 28, 2009
    kansas city, mo
    +100

I was there about a month ago and they were having 60% off scratch and dent (minus guitars/basses). A lot of 8x10 temptation with small scuffs.

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've been wanting a Kingston 5 for a while now. But luckily my GAS for one hasn't coincided with cash availability. When I've had the cash I haven't been gassing... luckily.