Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ideas for a new/improved bass product?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Aug 1, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm looking for ideas for either a new or improved version of an existing product for bass for a marketing project. Got my target market (the electric bass community), I just need an idea for a product to sell. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

2. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    and you expect people to just give you their ideas freely, so you can make money off of them?

3. basses? maybe amps?....how about effect pedals?

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan

It's for a college marketing course. Not looking to make a profit out of this, maybe. . . :eyebrow:

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    sorry about being rude, i didnt read closely enough. shame on me :ninja: .

6. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Letsee...

I have an electric tuner... it tells me either via different lights, an LCD display or a 'analog needle' that a note that I pluck is either too sharp or too flat.

Why not just take the output of that and direct it to a set of X servos (for the number of strings), which will turn the tuning knobs sharper or flatter... The servos don't need to be on the knobs, but they could turn a wire which is in turn attached to the knobs (think those fibre optic spy cameras in the spy movies).

All you'd need to do is pluck the string and it does the rest.

Potentially you should input in an alternative tuning and it would automatically tune to the right notes.

--Good luck with school

-Growler

7. how about a bass that will shave your face for you while you play it... i hate shaving.

8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What about a bass that's digital. One that doesn't have any strings and is controlled by you pressing your fingers down on the fretboard. Kind of lame, but people might think it's cool. Or some kind of thumb ring or something to make you slap better.

9. they kinda already have something like that out...but not for bass...http://transperformance.com/index2.htm

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Already done. One's a learner's instrument made by Yamaha -- it lights up and you play "fill in the holes" by trying to play on the right frets. The thumb thing is called a "slapring," and can be found here.

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I want an effect pedal that will tone down my guitarist's ego :D

J/K

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    In an era of remote control, why do continue to use cables? Wireless technology can't be wired into amps with mulitple channels?

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    We continue to use cables because wireless still has major drawbacks such as interference and a need to be powered at the bass end -- and the worst of all, it's still incredibly expensive for a decent system that's not gonna play the local Top 40 radio station or conversations on a nearby cordless phone through your amp.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    How's about this:
    A rigid "bridge" or extender that attaches to your strap botton(s). Say about 3" long that can be rotated and locked down in a set position. At the end of the extender is another strap botton that you attach your strap onto. This allows you to reposition your strap for better weight distribution and comfort. It's along the same ideas as cars with adjustable shoulder strap heights. Guys with big guts :ninja: can position it inward tward their body so the bass hangs more naturally. Actually building and marketing this may be a copyright infraction but feel free to use it for your school project!

15. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    How about a bass that uses lasers instead of strings?

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    A speaker cabinet that can walk and climb stairs all by itself.

17. how about string that never sound dead?

18. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    BINGO!

19. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    How bout a tiny chip in the bass that you can use to remember 3-5 of your favorite onboarb preamp settings? You could operate it by toggle switch or a seperate knob or something....i could use that right now lol. :D

20. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I think Line6 did that with as part of the VariAxe...

If they didn't..SOMEONE SHOULD!!

especially you could have a USB interface for uploading pre-sets...