1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideas for a tattoo...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ray Holt, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Hey guys. My best friend and I are planning on designing a tattoo together and both getting it. He's addicted to tattoos (has 6 already, he's 18 1/2) and I want to get one, but only once I'm absolutely positive it's something that is important enough to me.

This guy is not just a friend to me, he really is like a second brother. I do everything with him, and my family has really taken him in (his family life isn't so great)

So here's where I'm lookin for ideas. I've been trying to think of something that symbolizes BROTHERHOOD. I also love celtic designs, so I was thinking of doing something like that. Can you guys think of anything that symbolizes brotherhood?

Just throw any ideas out there, it might get the wheels turnin in my head. Thanks for any input you've got. :bassist:

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Something that symbolizes togetherness might be good. Just remember, not all cultures like you getting their tattoo's.. Perfect example being Robbie Williams getting some mauri (sp?) tattoo that actually belonged to a tribe, and they got right pissed off.

So sometimes it's also good to go with designs, not symbols taken from other traditional cultures.

I personally think your best bet is to go see the BEST tattooist around your area. Tell them your ideas, good artists will be able to put those things through their head, and come out with something original.

3. Thanks for your input man. My friend and I were planning on drawing it ourselves, but we were trying to find some inspiration.

I hear what you're saying about the other cultures... but I'm almost 100% Irish (we still keep in touch with family that lives in Ireland) and my friend is also Irish. I try to respect all cultures anyways :)

Going to the artists themselves is a good idea... I was planning on asking my mom to sketch out some ideas too, she's a great artist.

Thanks again man.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    A full body tattoo of yourself, only taller.

5. I haven't been here very long Mark, but your posts are always entertaining.

It's almost like an honor to have you reply to one of my posts hahah.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I cant take the credit for that one, its a Steven Wright joke. But, I feel honored by your wholly undeserved praise! :D

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ahh, fair enough, just making sure ;)

Are there any celtic symbols to represent togetherness/brotherhood etc etc that you know of? You could always make a more arty version of one I suppose.

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You could get on the whole "japanese kanji" bandwagon and get a symbol that means brothers or you can get what is called a nautical star. That also symbolizes friendship to my best knowledge.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Nautical Star would mean he was HXCtodaMaxxx

10. No way I'm getting on the japanese kanji bandwagon... that seems like it'd be wrong to me, well cause I have absolutely no asian in me hahah.

And I'm not sure what you meant by "HXCtodaMaxxx" Toasted, but from what I understand a nautical star represents like punk rock/that whole scene, or something to that extent.

11. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    HxC means hardcore... When I was in that scene, bands used to get the same nautical star and they called it a "friendship star"

Maybe get a tattoo of something identical or something where when you stand back to back it completes the other tattoo
    Maybe use smoke or fire or something to use as the common connector...

I dont think that has been done before with 2 people...

Think of the Constantine movie where he put his arms together to form a symbol with his tattoos. It would be that but with 2 different people's arms or bicepts or legs whatever.

[​IMG]

12. I'd thought of something like that... that might be pretty cool.

13. Go with the kanji symbol. But when you do it, make sure it's done by an untrustworthy artist so that you actually walk around with "sultry tigress" on you for the rest of your life. That happened to my cousin, so she got it covered up with one of the most poorly drawn tattoos I've ever seen. But I think hers said "plump" instead of "power", or something like that.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Haha, owned.

15. Hahah yeah, me and my best friend walking around with "secret lovers" or something in japanese on our shoulders.

I think the only language other than English that I'd ever get tattooed on my body would be Gaelic, and my great aunt teaches Gaelic so I could be sure of what it meant :)