1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideas for basic effects units.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mickeyj4j, Jun 8, 2014.

1. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    Hi all i am new to playing Bass and i am wanting some general info. i already have a micro cube 20xl bass amp. with some general effects, I like these effects. I am coming from playing Acoustic guitar, with effects, just wondering what is out there for Bass

I am wanting to know more about multi effects units where i can taylor that great sound. I have a Karina YAFL0400 Bass guitar. and use the amp available at church o stage.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What's available? Pretty much anything and everything

3. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    i understand that. i am looking for a multi effects unit that has good sounds for reasonable price.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Good sounds for reasonable price:
    Zoom B3, MS-60B and the new B1on/B1Xon

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This. Hands down. Also the MS70CDR, which is focused on chorus delay and reverb. You could get 2 of the 3 of these and be set for a while. Even one would be good. Just depends on what youre after. I own a 60b and a B1Xon. I also have a full on effects board. The 60b is on my main board, the B1Xon is at home for practice. The B3 would probably be a little more in depth if you want a looper, DI and headphone amp. The 60b if you just need the effects. The B1Xon/B1on would have a looper, rhythm machine, headphone out, all the effects and the BX1on has an expression pedal. The B1Xon and B1on are not built quite as solidly as the 60b, 70cdr or B3, but theyre still pretty tough. Look into all of these units and decide which one is going to suite your needs. These are all great intros into the effects world.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sorry, I didn't see that you were looking for a MFX.

I agree with the others...the Zoom B3 or MS-60B are both great units. I've had both on my board at one time or another and enjoyed using them.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    People around here seem to really like the Zoom stuff. I have never messed around with it but coming from the people it's coming from (who have spent thousands on effects) I would trust their opinion.

8. I'm in the same boat as the OP, and after reading a lot of posts and asking questions, I'm going with the Zoom B3. I've heard pretty much nothing but positive comments and it seems to be a unit that will do everything I (and you) want it to. As people have said, look around and read the comments in the Zoom related threads and you'll probably find things you like.

gregmon79 likes this.
  9. Dexter_Bass

Dexter_Bass

Oct 7, 2013
    Argentina
    I completely agree with all about the Zoom recommendation.
    They are great tools to enter in the effects world.

Greetings!

10. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    hey what about Rolland pedals hey do some great effects. units to. I have a Rolland Bass Cube 20xl amp with great effects.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  11. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I am not one for multi-effect units. But the Zoom is a good pedal for entering the realm effects if you want to go that route. Also a lot of the Source Audio pedals do multi-effects very well. I have also heard good things about the Line 6 M-series pedals.

12. Brelic

Brelic

Jun 26, 2011
    East Coast, Canada
    What is an example of a song or band you would consider having a great bass sound? You might find out you don't need a multi-effect box, but one or two specific pedals for the same price as the Zoom, but of higher quality.

Disclaimer: I have never played the Zoom B3, so I have no idea what kind of quality it is capable of.

13. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    I like many bands. jethro tull, bella fleck and the fleck tones, Bluetrain, Sons of Korah, All Start United, Big Tent Revival, Caedmon's Call, DC Talk, Dire Straights, Fleetwood Mac, Johnny Cash, The Lads, The W's. The Furies, Enya,

Other bands and artists to give you more ideas of what i like. like hil song, Paul Balioche, Delirous, brooke fraser, Israel Houghton, Jesus Culture, Don Moen, Parachutte Band, Twila Paris, Planet Shakers, Michael. W. Smith, Third Day, Chris Tomlin Phil Wickham.

Note: I understand that to get an overall sound individual pedals may be better, but also these days with pedals like the Zoom, Roland, Boss etc Multi effects are getting really good. A multi effects pedal that is versatile is something i am a fan of.

Note 2: For my guitar I got a Korg AX10A Multi effects Acoustic Guitar pedal. It is a good pedal for the price so i may even look at the Bass Version they do. AX3B or AX5B