1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideas for Blues Band Songlist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lfmn16, Jan 9, 2019.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm putting together a blues band as a side project and I'd like to see if anyone in a working blues band would care to share their lists. Please save the comments about blues bands not working, this is a side project and I don't care if we work twice a month or twice a year.

I'm not looking for a Stevie Ray guitar hero songlist, we're actually not going to do any Stevie Ray. We have guitar, bass, drums, harp, two of us sing well, one adequately.

What I'm really looking for is songs that might not satisfy the purists, but are popular with the audience. Obviously Allman Brothers, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, Albert King, Freddie King, James Cotton, Thunder Birds, Blues Brothers. We're going to drag some Motown into this also, like the Nighthawks have done.

I appreciate your input.

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't Trust Nobody. Not even myself. Well, I don't trust you and I don't trust nobody else. Willie Dixon!

3. Julien63000

Julien63000

Feb 19, 2018
    Maybe Motörhead - Limb from Limb . It’s a mix between fat oldschool blues and heavy/speed metal. I really recommend it to hype the crowd

lfmn16 likes this.
  4. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Maybe some English blues tunes to mix it up? Keep on Runnin' by Spencer Davis or All Your Love by the Bluesbreakers, for example. Talking bout upbeat songs that go over pretty well with a crowd while generally staying in the genre.

lfmn16 likes this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California

And if you want the "Wagon Wheel" of blues bands, you need to look up just about everyone's version of Sweet Home Chicago.

Along with Albert King and Otis Rush, check out Buddy Guy, BB King, and if you want something more modern maybe some Robert Cray.

REV, jebmd and lfmn16 like this.
  6. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    U.S. Blues, Grateful Dead

The Spy - the Doors

Suzie Q Dale Hawkins

Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman

lfmn16 likes this.
  7. CajunBassPlayer

CajunBassPlayer

Jul 6, 2017
    None
    I have been in several Blues Bands that did not work. We played Allman Brothers, BB King, Buddy Guy, and Willie Dixon, etc. We did actually play quite a few gigs, but only once each. Seems like even i the deep south, Blues is not a draw.
    Now I'm in a horn band doubt if we will ever work. We have 8 people.. Well seven today.. One of the guitar players is in the hospital and won't be available for a LOOOOOONG time, if ever. Good luck with it. BTW, where are you located?
    Robert Aucoin, aka Cajun Player.. Baton Rouge, La

lfmn16 likes this.
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks! We're playing the Dale Hawkins version of My Babe.

I'm about 75 miles outside of Washington, DC. I had a blues band about 20 years ago that played 2-3 times a month, but I'm not expecting to play that often. I have other projects so playing out is not a priority for this group. Generally I like TB, but the preoccupation that some people have with playing out, as if that is the only reason to strap on an instrument, gets really old.

JMacBass65, redwingxix and fhm555 like this.
  9. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Check out contemporary blues rock by artists such as:. Too Slim and the Taildraggers, Melvin Taylor, Tab Benoit, Walter Trout, Little Charlie and the Nightcats, Magic Slim and the Teardrops, Jimmy Thackery, Tommy Castro and many more.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Vinny Vincenzo, jerry and lfmn16 like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Every Time I Roll The Dice - Delbert

Good Time - Arcangels

Check out the Paul Rogers Muddy Water Blues album for some kicked up versions of standards that will be more likely to fill the dance floor.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I love that Paul Rogers CD. A great singer playing great material with great musicians.

oldrocker and two fingers like this.
  12. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    61ugYLuBQiL. 119022496-2.
    3076712546_c3017c3bb1_b.

lfmn16 likes this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Some good stuff there, thanks.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    The Thrill is Gone BB King
    Any Allman Brothers.

sm49341 likes this.
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'll tell you this, if you do hook into a good blues crowd they are one of the most supportive of bands and live music going and they still buy CDs. Don't forget to mine the old Stax and Atlantic box sets for some under-covered R&B/blues gems either.

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  17. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    The Doors recorded a bunch of very good, original blues.

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always loved doing Still Got the Blues. Meaty enough for your guitarist to do into, but a great melody and chord progression.

Wisebass and two fingers like this.
  19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

eJake, BazzaBass and 12BitSlab like this.
  20. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Key to the highway bill broonzy
    Hummingbird, why I sing the blues, so exited b.b. king
    Frosty, I ain’t drunk, honey hush. Albert Collins
    Cross cut saw Albert King

wizerd and redwingxix like this.