1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideas for Cort GB74

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Duke, Jun 3, 2007.

1. For as long as I've had this bass I've liked the unplugged tone, but there's something that isn't quite right to my ears when amplified.
    From playing around on a friend's Jazz and my old RBX170, I think I've figured out what the problem is; active electronics.

Passive basses for some reason just sound more 'natural' to me, and that's what I'm missing currently with the Cort.

So I think I'm going to convert it solely to Passive.
    The Cort currently has volume, blend and stacked bass/treble knobs, a mid-frequency switch and coil selector switch for the humbucker.
    My idea was to probably upgrade the pickups (I'm thinking Seymour Duncans, but I'm open to suggestion) and change the controls to V/B/T, keeping the coil selector, but changing the mid switch to a series/parallel switch.

I don't have much experience with electronics etc, so does that sound feasible, or even worth doing?

I'd like to hear any other wiring suggestions etc that you might have as well. Thanks.

2. first...
    it could very well be the preamp you don't like.

orrrr...
    it could very well be the pickups

the problem is, how do you find out?

well, first, does your bass have a preamp bypass? if so, how does it sound bypassed? if not...it's not a difficult task on most active basses to bypass the pickups...at least for test purposes...

what you propose is entirely doable...just remember to keep the coil selector for the humbucker...that way you're open to the jazz bass options, as well as the 'ray like ones.

3. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Exactly what I would do.
    Mighty Mite pickups suck IMO, very dull sounding, they have absolutely no clarity.
    The seymour duncans sound more natural and have that clarity that I would want in a bass.
    Upgrading pickups will massively improve your sound, you won't regret it!

4. Thanks guys.

It does have an active/passive push/pull, but admittedly, I've never really played it in passive much since bypassing the preamp means I don't have a tone knob.

However, after doing a fair bit of experimentation, I'd have to say that with the EQ flat, it sounds fairly similar in both active and passive modes.
    With my past experiences with active basses it was clearly the preamp having an effect, so I sort of jumped to conclusions in this case.

When I get around to it I think I'll just switch the pickups, which should help the sound quite a bit.

5. mavroeida

mavroeida

Dec 18, 2006
    Greece
    Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum!:)
    I want to replace the mighty mite pick ups on gb74 (ash body,maple fingerboard), too.

I play blues, rock, and funk.
    highs: I like funky figerstyle playing (the sound of Jaco's jazz bass)
    Bass/mid: and I also want a warm sound (on the neck?) for blues and rock.

I'm thinking of seymour duncan smb4a on the bridge and Fender 62 (or other vintage pickup) for the neck.

What's your opinion?
    Any other suggestions of pickups?

PS: The outcome should cover the whole range of frequencies.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021