Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ideas For Crossover From Body To Neck:Fingerboard Wood.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tonrutoo, Oct 8, 2004.

1. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Hey everybody.
    To the point-I have just received a beautifull Burl Myrtle top from Gallery Hardwoods that I plan to have sit atop a rather nice Santos Mahogany body blank and neck(also Gallery supplied).
    I'm looking for a crossover in grain and color that is subtle in character for the fingerboard.I'd like it to be a tie in between the pale cloudy Burl Myrtle and the rich warmth of the Santos Mahogany.
    -Ebony is striking yet predictable.It matches the pickup...
    -Brazilian Tulipwood or Kingwood I think would look great in different ways,but I'm trying not to chop down too many rare trees.
    -A blonder example of Morado also intrigues me if you know the type.Hogue has some nice examples for their handgun grips,as well as darker examples.Woodworkers Source also displays an example in the blond color range.
    Oh Well,I asked for suggestions.
    Thank you in advance for your participation.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I use Wenge a lot for fingerboards. Dark yet different than Ebony.....t

3. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Yeah,I guess it would be a more subtle crossover than ebony.
    I like wenge,just hadn't really thought about it.
    I will now,thanks.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    How about chechen or granadillo? I like the look of a warm brown with a blonde-ish body top. These woods should more or less match the santos as you look down at the neck from the side of the bass.

5. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Yes.
    I'm fond of Granadillo,or at least what I've seen online,and would really like an example.
    I came across the wood at Woodworkers Source.com.
    As I understand it should be readily available,but I'm having a time finding it.
    Got any pictures guys?

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've had a hard time finding granadillo myself. My local supplier just got some in stock and I am preparing to use it for the first time soon. It's quite similar in appearance to morado and Madagascar rosewood.

7. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Cool.
    If you don't mind,keep us informed or post some pictures.I'd like to have a blank if and when it's available.
    I'm looking into a Bocote blank as we speak,and just received an Ebony and Morado from LMI.
    I've resolved to take this mildly expensive rout which I hope will not just help me now,but leave me with alternatives for the future.I just have to have it in front of me.

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Have you talked to Larry at Gallery about his stablized fingerboards? Using that process, he can make a fingerboard from woods that are normally way to soft to be considered for a fingerboard, like black limba, or even spalted maple.

I had two stabilized leopardwood fingerboards from Gallery that were just gorgeous, and have several stabilized spalted maple and flamed maple fingerboards on their way as well.

:^)~

9. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    You know me Grandon;sorry I couldn't go forward.I left an explanation at my last post that the neck maker just wouldn't budge.
    My next project i definitely will use the stabilized Birdseye board for a fretless of undecided features.I have this peculiar idea of using a Hipshot Tremolo bridge,and seeing how far I can go with my Real McCoy RMC3 wah.I'm sure this idea will look trashier to me as I progress;maybe I just want to scare a guitarist.