ideas for fake inlays???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by suasa, Sep 11, 2004.

1. okay the white jazz bass is what I want well not quite but its what I am planning to make my p-bass look like well at least as far as finish goes but my p bass will be a fretless. So heres the deal, I have just finished filling the slots with white styrene strips and am going to glue and sand them tonight. I dont want the rosewood look of the neck I want the blackness of the jazz bass neck I also want the white block inlays but I will be coating my neck with polyeurothane if thats how you spell it so it doesnt have to really be inlays mabey stickers of some sort. So anyone have any ideas on how I can make this look good still keep my white fret lines and get the white on black inlays. oh and the neck really does look better than it does in the picture. and i had this same thread posted in the lutiers corner for 2 weeks bumped a couple times and 1 reply so its here now please help me with the inlays.

2. bumpedy bump bump
  3. That's awesome. I want those for my TBC.
  4. I bought some a while ago for my Yamaha TRB6, I haven't gotten round to putting together a design.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    No MOP blocks, no thank you. I'm getting an SX Tele in November that I want to put a black pearloid guard and MOP-top chrome knobs on, and MOP blocks would look GREAT on the fretboard...but apparently they don't have them anymore (I'm sure they used to though).
  6. thanks that fretware site is very interesting defenitely an option but i would really like something white and they only offer 4 different types of shell pearl is the closest to solid white. so does anybody have any ideas for a solid white inlay or sticker??
    thanks again

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moved to Miscellaneous
  8. Just go to the stationary shop and buy some white plastic stickers, cut to size and you're ready to go.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Suasa-vito...nice Jazz.

I vote "No" for the 'fake/faux inlays. They're FAKE! ;)

Mid-'80s, I want to buy the needed parts to assemble my first bass. I'm going with a Warmoth Jazz neck with an ebony fretboard. The salesman sez " want abalone inlays for the dots, right? You don't want stickers as dots, right?" I agreed, I didn't want sometyhing 'cheap' stuck on this 'expensive' neck. So he calculates & the real abalone dots adds over $100 to the neck. Damn, screw the real dots...does Warmoth make necks WITHOUT any dots? Of course the salesman said he doubted it; I make him call & of course Warmoth sez they would just pull the neck pre-dot sticking on. Then again, I like the Classical guitar look of my bass. ;)

BTW, if this new P-bass is gonna be fretless...IMO, the block inlays & maybe even the dots might add to your initial misery of trying to play in-tune. No?
  10. no the stickers will not affect my playing in tune because i am coating the neck with polyeurothane like the pedulla buzz type deal so i just need something that will work for that even just stickers will look good does anyone have a template for that??