1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideas for female covers of male songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NickInMesa, May 7, 2010.

1. I am trying to put together a list of songs that are normally sung by male singers, especially their original version, but can be or were covered by female singers.

Example: It's My Life (Talk Talk => No Doubt), Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode => Lacuna Coil), I Drove All Night (Roy Orbison => Cindi Lauper).

I am actually looking for new ideas.

What male song could be covered by a female singer and could turn out awesome, sometimes by switching genders (as for instance My Girlfriend could become My Boyfriend, etc...)?

Thanks a lot for the ideas.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Crimson and Clover...no, wait...that's been done.

3. Anything by Led Zeppelin or Journey.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Exactly! We have a female singer (who is great) and she does the Zep and Journey songs really well. We also do a couple Boston songs (rock n roll band, and the other popular one I cant seem to think of the name of right now!), Kansas (carry on my wayward son) and an AC/DC song (shook me all night long). Of course we mix in chick songs throughout too (I love rock n roll, you outta know, Im the only one, before he cheats, etc)

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What kind of band are you?

6. I'd second this. Plus maybe some Aerosmith and Four Tops.

7. Might be interesting to hear some of Mraz (but not 'Butterfly') done by a female.

Since your boundaries seem pretty wide, with songs like: It's My Life (Talk Talk => No Doubt), Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode => Lacuna Coil), I Drove All Night (Roy Orbison => Cindi Lauper) I don't think Mraz is a stretch for you. .

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor
    Hold The Line - Toto
    Jane - Starship

9. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    Dude (looks like a lady) :hyper:
    :rollno:

10. The project is high energy stuff, arena style, but not just that.

Thanks for the suggestions, some are interesting :0

11. Keep On Rockin In The Free World!

Errrrybody loves that tune

12. I agree. Though the original sucked big time,(Neil Young, nuff said), we cover the song in my band and it rocks.

13. if it was me doing the singing (which i hope i never do cos i have no voice) i would sing journey and my favorite Tarot...the one I want to learn is Ashes to the Stars.

14. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    how about joan jett. linda ronstadt and heart live (covers) stuff? or any journey LOL later, ron

15. Tarot? :confused:

16. Oh I thought of another one. Guns N Roses.

17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    bon jovi
    incubus
    eagles
    violent femmes
    def leppard
    acdc
    red hot chillie peppers
    green day
    sublime
    buck cherry
    nine inch nails

all my singer does, but def leppard killer her voice so we have to drop it

18. Tom Petty tunes lend themselves well to female singers.

19. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Interesting intellectual exercise, but with no real bearing in the real world, IME.

Our three lady singers can take any song and make it their own. They rarely change male-oriented lyrics unless it makes the song more fun (Smokin' in the Girl's Room), and since one of them is openly gay, that makes it even more interesting.

But, from Bob Seger to Jon Anderson, they can cover it. And that's the beauty of RnR: a well written song can be (re)interpeted by anyone willing to put in the honest effort.

That's pretty much held true for any cover band I've worked with that has a female singer.

Don't worry about "girl" songs. Help your singer find their voice on any song you throw at them.

20. smokin is a boston tune that the right female vox would suit