Ideas for finished basement space?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 17, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    In my house I have a 36x19 area of finished basement that my fiance and I can't figure out what to do with. There is a 13x13 area or so connected to it that I made into a music area, so that's all set, and options like "bigger music area" or "recording studio" won't fly with the other half :) So what are your suggestions for what to do with it? We already have a couch, and we want to make it into like a "fun room" or lounge area, we just don't know in what way. We don't see the point in having 3 TV's in the house, so another living room is out. We'd like to put a pool table, but I think we'd be able to only fit a pool table, and not have room for much else. My grandmother does have a bar in her basement she'll let us have, so that is an option too :)

Anything else?
  2. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Build a mini ramp so your friends can skate in your basement!
  3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Sure if they want to hit their heads on the ceiling :)
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Home theater room. That's what I did with my extra room in my basement. The rest consists of closets, a utility room (2 fridge/freezers and storage for all sorts of random crap), an addition kitchen/bedroom/bathroom/living area (in other words, an apartment) and a small area which houses the furnace and other assorted things.
  5. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'd say take the bar, put a TV in there with some nice chairs and maybe a foosball table
  6. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    gotta have the bar... decorate it "old style saloon" way. you gotta get the kegorator going....

you also got to get a really really big wrap around couch, and put it in front of a nice big coffe table. put the whole thing in front of some random old TV. doesn't have to be big, maybe the other TV that isn't in the family room.

the couch is important, because you can retreat there when the powers-that-be tell you it's time to mow the lawn. it's also good for naps. and good for chilling in the summer on with some friends.

decorate it for your favorite sports team. mine would be all blue with red sox shwag all over the walls. :)

get a good sound system. football is so much cooler when it sounds like they're hitting you and not the other players. it's also really good for movies.

hang up your basses (assuming you have more than one) above your amp in one corner. guitars look classy hanging from the wall instead of tucked in some musty old case. it also encourages you to play it more (if you havn't already hung it already and figured this out).

a pool table would be nice, but space consuming. i'd be more inclined to go with something like a pinball table or an old arcade game to put next to the bar.

hope that helps...
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    kickass entertainment system?
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Home theater, my man. It's the perfect option. If you want you could also incorporate a bar or whatever but I'd love to have a finished basement space in which to construct a dedicated home theater. Houses around here don't really have basements though because of the humidity or something.

brad cook
  9. make sure you leave some room for the stripper pole too
  10. yes. home theater. no question. maybe a digital projector? And some kickass leather lounger recliners, and throw the bar in there too....

Then your current living room becomes a "sitting / conversation" room by default, and ladies love that.
  11. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Consider a pool table with some extra tabletops you could lay on it. That way you have pool, poker, ping pong, whatever.

And the bar. Do not turn down a free bar.
  12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    This is more what I'm thinking of. Any idea where I can get something like that?

I think we want it to be sort of a game room, but putting everything in there is the question, because a pool table, unless I got a small one, might not leave room for much else.
  13. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    "fun room" (your words, not mine) = how about a bed?

One king-size bed in the middle of the room. You'll get the best questions and conversational mileage.

Oh, and you might get to have some fun, too.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Looks like it's time for someone to watch a few more of those home decorating shows on cable. My wife and I have got all kinds of great ideas from those shows.

15. No gameroom is complete without a dart board. Get one of the plastic saftey dart things if you're not keen on hundreds of holes in the wall around the board (it WILL happen). I like the idea of the pool table with extra tops so you can play cards on it or whatever. That, and a dart board, and you're pretty well set :)
  16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually we JUST added one to our registry and it's the magnetic kind.

I found one of those 4-in-1 table things with pool, hockey, ping pong and foosball. I think that might be what we're into. I just hope that pool is still fun on a 5 foot table *lol* :)
  17. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if it was me and my basement? i would put the following.

a studio, whether its recoridng or rehearsing.

in the other section of the basementr, i would put a tv and some video stuff(dvd, ps2), a nice comfy couch, and a wt bar.

that way i can jam, and entertain all in one shot.
  18. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    giant aquarium with a shark!
  19. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Dungeon. Dungeons are always in the basement.
  20. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Two words: Home brewery.