1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideas for good modern tracks for a band of 3 + female singer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by topo morto, Oct 3, 2013.

1. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    So, we just lost our guitarist and are now female singer (more delicate-voiced, not screamy), quite a good drummer, and any 2 of keyboard, bass, and guitar. (I don't mind the keyboard player doing left hand bass while I get with the 6 string!). I can get pretty effects-heavy on the bass if necessary.

We've been doing a lot of classic rock and I'd like to try out a few more modern numbers that would work with this config. Maybe even something a bit house/techno/r'n'b... for example - Rihanna "we found love" is one I'll suggest, as is Kelis "trick me".

Any suggestions? Don't worry if they might seem a bit... well.... I'm fine with K.Perry and J.Derulo if they would work and get people dancing....

Thanks...

2. blurred lines - robin thicke
    MoneyGrabber - Fitz and the Tantrums (great bass line, catchy song)

anything by the stone roses (not so current)

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Have heard some hate but at least he doesn't sing in that irritating nasally high voice that was going round a few years. And he has lyrics beyond "Ay-O Eh Eh Eh Eh Eh"

Might give fool's gold a go too!

4. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Bump (or are there no good songs any more?)

5. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    We are also a classic rock band but 4 piece and have the same issues. Tried Gone Gone Gone but we stay away from alternate tuning as much as possible. We do our version of Forget You which to my surprise came out pretty good. At first I was totally against it, but now I like it - comes after Lynyrd Skynyrd and before Bob Seger but it works! Also have heard cool rock versions of Bad Romance and Pokerface. I am also interested in hearing input, we want to modernize the setlist and get out of 80s but its not easy.

6. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    A few more I've suggested :

Saint Etienne - only love can break your heart
    Sweet Like Chocolate - Shanks & Bigfoot
    Katy Perry - I kissed a girl
    black keys - lonely boy
    Massive attack - protection
    Calvin Harris & Kelis- bounce
    Stevie Wonder - Higher ground

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Some Kind of Wonderful - Joss Stone

8. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Joss Stone is scary. I think our singer might run out of juice, bless her!

9. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    How modern do you want it, cause Zombie by The Cranberries is a great female singer's song. Or Nothing Compares 2 you

10. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Even 80s could be good. Was considering Human League (though I'd end up being phil!)

Zombie is a good suggestion, thanks.

11. I was gonna say Metric, or Yeah Yeah Yeahs, with the female vocalist.

12. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    "We Found Love" is an excellent choice, even though it's pretty old now it seems to have good longevity. I'd say do "Roar" and "Wake Me Up" from current hits, they are both popular and should fit nicely in a traditional rock setlist, and maybe "Royals" if you don't mind doing something slower/less danceable.

Older classics that should work if somebody in the band can do a short rap verse - "Be My Lover" by La Bouche, and "No Limit" by 2 Unlimited. Classics with no need for rap - "Rapture" which you can play like the Avicii remix or like the original Iio version, or even like a dance remix of the acoustic version.

For something more British, do some AlunaGeorge. They just dropped a new video for "Best Be Believing", though "You Know You Like It" is still probably the safest choice. "White Noise" could be pretty hard for a band to play, but if you can come up with an arrangement that works, great. And how popular is Natalia Kills over there? Popular enough for "Problem" to be worth covering?

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Also do "Timber" by Ke$ha and Pitbull. It just dropped a couple of days ago and will be a huge hit soon.

14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I actually did this in a band with a male vocalist, transposed down a fourth. That bass line kills on a fiver. It's a real crowd pleaser.

15. We are a very similar set up and had really good feedback with Jeremy by Pearl Jam, Vertigo by U2, Shake it out by Florence and the Machine and Creep by radiohead is very cool as sung by a girl.

16. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    Back in the day.....my chick singer band did :
    99 red baloons- nena
    Want you to want me- cheap trick
    Shameless- ani difranco
    Lights- journey
    Man in the box- Alice in chains

They all killed!