ideas for speaker's with a walter woods amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jonny P, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P

Jun 5, 2002
    I am thinking of getting a Walter Woods (the 1200 watt mono one) and am wondering about folks' speaker preferences which complement this amp as well as a Gage P/U. Thanks, JP
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    To date, my favorite bottom is the Bergantino HT112.

This seems to work very well with my Woods and both my basses (one has the Gage P/U, the other a Schertler). The bottom is firm and tight but not over hyped and the upper mids and highs sound very smooth and even. It also has a very fast response, the "edge" of notes jump out.

Second choice is the Epifani T-112 which emphasizes the lows more (but still tight), highs are still smooth but more subdued. Good if you like a darker tone or have a very bright sounding bass.

Both are 8 ohm cabinets. A pair of either one makes an unreal EBG setup if you do any doubling.
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    My teacher has a woods, and he said Walter told him he voices his amps for a full range speaker, specifically recommending an EV 12" or a Bose (can't remember which one). My teacher is very happy with the EV + Woods. WIth the Realist, have someone play your bass in a large room and listen and adjust the amp. The Realist tends to be boomy the further away you are, so don't trust the sound you are getting standing 10' away from your speaker. For some reason, I've been told that the Realist is worse with ply basses at being boomy. YMMV, Great amp; you should be very happy.

4. I just got a new WW 1200 watt mono amp and have paired it with the Aguilar 1x12 using a Gage P/U. So far so good. I've been using the Aguilar for some time and like it very much. I checked with Dave Boonshoft at Aguilar regarding the power handling capacity of the 1x12 and he tells me not to worry about the 1200 watts the WW can put out. Its all about head room! Great transients, nice full sound. I'm about to try the set-up with two 1x12s for a bit larger sound when I need it.
  5. You will have a while to think about it. Last time I looked the waiting list was a year long.:eek:
  6. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've been using Euphonic Audio Vl208 and 110 with my upright and EUB. I've been pretty happy with both of them. I've also been using a Raezer's Edge twin T with 2 eights. It works really well with either the Woods or the Clarus head.

For electric bass I've used the Woods with the EA 208 and 110 combined. Really compact full range rig.
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I just bought a Bag End S12D for use with my URB ('62 Kay)and I am very,very happy with the sound. I also have a S15D but, while it's a good electric cab, it was too boomy in the low end for the upright.The S12D isn't quite as flat as a EA for example but has less coloration than an Aguilar for example.
  8. I have used a Raezer's-Edge Bass 10 and Twin 8T-very warm, accurate. My favorite for UB.

Also the EA VL-110's - Not quite as warm as the others and had a bit of a "sound" to them.

Tried a Bag End 2-10 - really big sound, but so was the cab! 71 lbs not fo me.

I currently am using the new Aguilar 1-12.- Bigger sound, better for doubling. Not expensive.