Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ideas for specs on a new Valenti I am considering

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Dec 14, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Hey everyone, I have been talking with Nino about specs and ideas for a custom spec'd bass that I have been considering. I'd like to solicit the input from the Talkbass collective on ideas, changes, or modifications to what I have considered.

Background, I play exclusively fingerstyle, toward the bridge, with a moderately heavy touch. I play mostly classic rock, blues, and some 80's rock. I play passive Fender Jazz basses through an outboard Sadowsky preamp and really like the overall sound I get in our mix. The reason I am considering a new bass is that I'd like a bit more versatility in tone than I get with my Jazzes.

So here is what I have spec'd out. It's basically a cross between a Fender Roscoe Beck IV from the electronics side and a Lakland DJ4 from an appearance standpoint.

Rosewood J bass neck, bound with pearloid block inlays, satin finish on rear of the neck
    P-bass style body, swamp ash, with rear routed control cavity
    Body and matching headstock in Candy Apple Red, no pickguard on the body
    Dual humbucker Nordstrand pickups with individual coil tap switches
    vol, blend, tone controls passive, using push/pull pots for the coil taps for each pickup
    Chrome Hipshot clover leaf tuners with D-tuner
    Chrome Hipshot B style bridge
    Chrome p-bass style knobs
    Chrome pickup cover over the neck pickup

Beav2k2 is working on a photoshop of this for me, so I will hopefully have something to look at and decide if I like the way it will look. Do you guys have any other input on changes that I should consider?

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    The only thing I would change (and I'm probably doing this on my next Valenti), is using Carey's P-pickup with a Dual coil in the bridge position.

3. Personally I think the bass might look a little empty w/o a pickguard given how big P-bass bodies are. Just my buck o' five. I think everything else is awesome though. I <3 blocks and binding.

4. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Hmmm, this was my biggest worry from the visual aspect of it. I'm a fairly big guy, 6'2" and around 195 pounds. I was thinking about going with a Dinky-J body since I definitely want to go w/o a pickguard. Then I saw the pics of the new Fender "Big Block" P-bass and it doesn't have a pickguard, and didn't really strike me as looking "empty".

Plus I have 3 other Jazz basses and would like this one to look a bit different visually. Your point is well taken, and it may be that once I get the photshopped pic, I'll decide to go with a standard size or dinky Jazz body instead.

Keep the suggestions coming!

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    AJ, why would you go with the single coil P in the neck location instead of a second humbucker? I really was digging the versatility of the humbuckers in the Roscoe Beck 4 that my local store has in stock, but I would love to hear your opinions on the advantages of having a P pickup in there instead.

Thanks,
    Shannon

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I like the sound of single coils in general. On my F's my switch is always in single-coil mode. With both pickups up, they cancel each other out. With one all the way off, I'm actually having great luck with noise. With the dual-coil pickup in conjunction with the P pickup, I would employ coil-taps, series, and parallel switches for the dual coil to mix it up.

I'm actually hearing great things about Carey's P pickup, especially from Nino.

7. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What's the neck gonna be? Maple? Sounds like a very killer bass so far. Only thing I would change is the Hipshot B-Type bridge to A-Type... cause im picky like that. :spit:

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Sorry about that, yeah, the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard and block inlays. Good catch on the bridge, I was looking at the "A" and somehow put in the "B" instead. The A appears to be beefier and more adjustable.

9. i'd put switches instead of push pull pots...
    1...you can put in higher quality pots, that way
    2...you can put in 3PDT switches and get series/single/parallel mode out of them...all 3 modes are useful, especially on a two pickup bass.

For a CAR p-bass style with matching headstock, I think an ebony board would be much more attractive than a rosewood board, IMO...and I'm a freak for "neat" boards (no markers, no binding)...but that's me.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go ebony and no frontal dots on the board.

I dislike CAR, id go seafoam green ;)

11. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Of course a single coil would work just as well in this application. I think Nino's Geddy Vee is a big single + P5 now.

12. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for the input guys. I initially spec'd using a pair of 3 way switches like the Roscoe Beck. Then I started to think that it would look cleaner and sleeker with only pots on the front, being that it's a no-pickguard setup. I could be convinced that the switches are a better solution.

I'm 100% stuck on the neck with binding abd block inlays. I don't know if Warmoth offers ebony fretboards with binding and block inlays, off to do some research......

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. I love ebony boards. MMMMMmmmm.

An ebony board would look really good with the CAR color scheme, too.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Uhh...so basically opposite of what sb69 wants. Great. Call Nino. I'm sure he'll hook you up with what YOU like.

sb69 - Sounds like a versitle configuration - lots of sonic options and a clean look,too. If thinking about it makes your heart beat faster, go for it!!!

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Sounds very cool, don't worry about the pickguard having the pickup cover will make it look fine.

Personally I'd go with a dinky Jazz body as I prefer it to the p bass body.

Why not have a sadowsky pre installed as well since you are using an external one, then add VTC and active/passive push pull Nino has done this on both my Valenti's and they are fantastic. I would consider the Nord p pup and a humbucker in the bridge as well, you have not heard a p-bass till you have heard that nord.

Hope this helps and hopefully welcome to the family for the near future

Cheers

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The P is a hum Cancelling Pickup.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    [​IMG]

I had the P/Big Single in my "Geddy Vee" to evaluate the P5 pickup. I thought it sounded really good. I sent the bass to Carey so he could evaluate the pickup and he loved it too, so it went into production. There was a little hum when both pickups were on full so I would recommend a Humcancelling pickup in the Bridge position to anyone. I've since put the Big Single back in the "G.V." and the P5 is going to go into another bass I'm building.

18. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for clearing that up Nino.

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I love your concept, and have been thinking along similar lines for a possible project. I understand you want a clean look, but I'd prefer volume controls for each pickup plus a three way pickup selector switch, maybe even a Strat-like five way switch with coil splitting in the "notch" positions. (I have a Double Fat Strat with that setup, and it's amazing, but I'd probably prefer the simpler three position switch on a bass.)

For on-the-fly tonal changes, I think a switch would be easier than a blend pot. I understand that's why Roscoe Beck specified a selector switch for his signature Fenders, but I'd want to increase flexibility with separate volume controls too.

If you're concerned about the body looking "empty" without a pickguard, maybe you could install a custom designed plate under the knobs to go with the pickup cover.

20. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I'd get a red stain instead of a solid candy apple read, but that's just me. I'd show that ash around if I were you.