1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideas for starter combo for teenage beginner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatRon, Mar 13, 2013.

1. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    looking for advice/ideas for deals on a starter combo for my teenage son who's just starting out. tone more important than power/headroom and relatively light weight.
    thanks for your input.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have an Ampeg BA108 and BA110. Both sound pretty darn good for practice amps. The BA110 is a little better sound quality and will get louder, but the BA108 is nice and light and has a pretty hefty low end for a single 8" speaker. Very inexpensive and about as good as it gets for practice amps IMHO.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would look at some of the Acoustic stuff at Guitar Center very reliable gear and affordable.

4. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    a buddy of mine has a vintage traynor yba-2 "bass mate" combo that he picked up on craigs list a few years ago for 50 bucks. thing sound really awesome. and it has vintage mojo to boot. (not to mention tubes to stare at, always a plus for kids learning to play). he uses it as his bedroom amp but has also recorded with it a bunch.

5. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
  6. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    A used Ampeg B100R. 100 Watts, 15 inch speaker. Very nice combo amps.

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Nothing less than 100 watts...

don't disappoint yourself with a 10 watt practice amp.

8. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    "Ideas for starter combo for teenage beginner"

Maybe a really good set of headphones.

9. Ampeg BA112, 50 watts and can use head phones!!

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    The Ampeg BA combos are nice, get the 100 watt one at least. Though I've come to prefer Genz Benz gear.

11. +1

The price difference is not that big.

And, even though just a "beginner", I am sure he will soon find some friends he wants to jam with.

A "practice" amp will ONLY be good for playing my himself in a bedroom. A decent 100 watt combo will allow him to jam with others, and possibly even do some small gigs.

12. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    nice suggestions folks. Jimmy and Rob, I know where you are coming from with the BA series. I used to own a BA112. Tone forever but rather heavy for a small rig. As a matter of fact it was that rig many years ago that got me hooked on 12's. I'll take a listen to the BA10.
    Mjac and Doner, agree with you guys suggesting the acoustic models. I briefly played on the 30 watt 12" and was impressed with the sound and depth, though not much headroom. I'll check as to how heavy/bulky the 100 is.
    I have a lead on a local deal for a used workingman's 12 that has had the driver changed out to a neo. I've never heard the SWR rigs so I don't know what to expect.
    It's a 90 mile trek to try it out.
    thanks again everyone. more welcome!

13. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    this..

great tone for lil cabs, the BA108 is really quite punchy.. headphone socket and aux in to play along with mp3...just fine

And to everyone promoting a 100W 15" amp for a teenager that cannot play...perhaps you will offer the OP to host his son for 6 months?.... after all...nfw would i buy my teenage kid something that low, meaty and loud.:D

14. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    Phil Jones Double-Four or Markbass Micromark

15. A 100w 15 combo will probably be easier to sell should he lose interest, but would work for a lot more then some bedroom practice should he continue his interest in playing.

That old saying comes to mind.......

"Buy once, cry once"

16. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Acoustic B20 or B30 for bedroom only practice. It's got a 12" speaker vs. the 10" that's typical in most practice amps.

Acoustic B100 or B200 "combo amps" for playing with a band.

17. Something a little different - a Hartke A70. It has 70W and a 12 and gets loud enough for my rehearsals with the band. I got it used at guitar center for 150.

18. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Totally, you can turn a loud amp down. Buy decent second-hand gear so if he likes it he has a decent amp and if he doesn't you can sell. Buy a five year old stage amp for $100 and in 6 months it'll be worth $100. Buy a new practice amp for $100 and in 6 months it'll be worthless.

19. spacebassed

spacebassed

Jan 31, 2009
    I'd agree get something with a 12" or 15". The Ampeg B100r or B50r are two of the best solid state combos ever made and you can pick them up used at a good price. With a beginner you want to get something that sounds good and inspires him to want a play. Plus, it's something he'll always be able to use - even if he sticks with it and gets a bigger "gig rig" he'll still be able to use it for practice, small gigs, and in the studio.