1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideas on a ramp/thumb rest?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Guitar Man, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Attached Files:

2. so this goes over a DS pickup?

if so, cool idea, even though it totally destroys the look of a darkstar...can you make it out of acrylic and still include the chrome pickup ring?....purely for aesthetics, of course...

3. No this does not go over the pickup.
    It is a ramp that goes between the 2 pickups.
    Did you look at the thread?

I have thumb rests to go under the DS pickups if you are looking for one.
    Look at this link.

http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/lakland2.html

Attached Files:

4. I did look at the thread, it was a bit ambiguous to me...sorry for the confusion...

I think acrylic is the way to go....that black square doesn't do much for the looks of the decade IMO...

5. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    I dont get it, four strings on a five string Bass? ok sorry. I agree with Pilbara, Acrylic, black square is kinda dull looking.

6. The bass on the thread is not a 5 string it is a 4 string with a 5 pol piece magnet set up. You never saw 2 poles for each string?
    He saved a magnet doing it that way.

7. I have to agree with those who say it's a bit.........distracting from the bass.
    Acrylic might be one route, but I see that getting scratched pretty fast...... how about Chrome? More bling is always good, right? LOL.
    Or Gold? Aluminum?

8. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    It's still a work in progress, but I made a first attempt with an acrylic sheet (about 3/8" thick):

th_IMG_7261.jpg
    th_IMG_7262.jpg
    th_IMG_7263.jpg
    th_IMG_7264.jpg

I still need to round the corners and smooth, bevel, and polish the edges.

Then I would need to decide how to mount it with either screws or clear double sided tape.

I'm just using a hack saw, a metal file, and my Dremel tool.

9. oh yes....the acrylic looks much nicer....it'll be killer when you get the edges bevelled and polished...

mounting will be a problem, won't it...screws are too "permanent"...
    how about 4 smallish circular pieces of clear double-sided tape, neatly arranged on the corners? you'll see them, but they won't be distracting

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021