1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ideas on how to get a cabinet in India?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. last christmas i got me a genz benz shuttle 6.2 and am yet to plug it into a real cabinet!! i have been using the head as "preamp" the whole time sending it's effect send to my fender rumble 100v3's effect return to make the combo sound better. Even as just a tone shaping tool, this head is awesome! all my pedals eat dust now, i just plug straight into the shuttle into the rumble.

anyway the only store that brings and sells markbass told me they had a traveler 102P when a few days before i got my amp head but they day i got my amp head.. the store said it is out of stock and now i have to wait till feb. now first week into feb they say that the shipment will reach my march end (hopefully am guessing)

so am going to get me a cab in april!? NO WAY if i can help it. so my amp puts out 375@ 8 ohms. i want something that can handle 400W and is a real light weight cab (markbass traveler is 27pounds)
    my budget had been stretched out and extended to be able to afford the traveler which is around 600US$ so it still remains there. Now i dont know how many options i have in that budget but it is not a meager sum LOL

here's the catch though, Indian Govt puts 28.6% duty on the sum total of cost of "item" + cost of shipping. So that makes the whole deal more expensive so i guess i man up, save up and bite the bullet. ok now any ideas on used or new super light cabs?

PS - i do not trust me or anyone with building one which will work well and i would rather play more gigs and save up to get something reputed and reliable. (i mean building a cab is kinda too crazy for me)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I know paying sucks but I'm less and less tender toward people trying to bypass taxes.
    They are to be paid and help the country getting stuff done, paying teachers, police and firemen.
    All things considered, music gear is a luxury. There are taxes to be paid everywhere. People do it.
    Get the cab you want, pay for the tax.

BlueAliceOasis and Brian D like this.
  3. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    With India being such a big place, am I stupid for asking if you have checked in other cities if any bass cabs are available? Friends of mine who gigged in India bought a very high end Korg workstation in a music store somewhere in Goa?

4. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Are there any local manufacturers? Even getting speaker cab plans (easily available) and having a local furniture maker build one would be an idea.

Failing that you could try make your own. There are multiple threads around here on people who've done that.

5. oh yeah, there is no in my city who gets nice bass cabs. i have checked with the importers to get a direct line of contact. the "bass world" is really tiny here so it easy to reach almost anyone at most times. online and everything.

6. yeah it truly sucks when i have to pay taxes on cost of shipping and not just the cost "item" but i get you, i actually feel we should pay our taxes and also get rid of the curroption so hm yeah thanks! . but i did edit my post now :)

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Are there working musicians in India? Yes? Then there are used cabs out there. It might be tough to find the right network to buy them, but they should be there already.

8. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    Really? 28.6% on imports plus the usual outrageous tax % is good for you? Sounds like indentured servent to me.

BigBobbyBass and Dennis Smith like this.
  9. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Not necessarily. I don't know the situation in India but I can assume it is not much different to where I live. Here, many working musicians don't even own an instrument, they pay to use one available at the venue they play. Forget about an amp. Of all the dozens of bassists i personally know in Kenya, only 2 have an amp/cab because I gave it to them. Everybody else plugs into the PA.

10. i am not excited about buying a used cab. cabs get abused easily i would really rather save up and get a new one

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Do they charge to plug into the PA?

Some venues like to insist that bands have to use their PA and guy to run the board, then they charge the band for it. One way to pay less out to the performers.

12. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    If the Band brings the PA, they get paid more for the gig, if the venue has a PA (very rare) they get paid less.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    In your shoes I'd at least consider the following option:
    -call these guys and ask if, even though it would not seem so from their webpage, they still carry Faital as per the latter company's list of international dealers - if not, these other guys in Chennai (I know, it's half a subcontinent away, but shipping might not be so bad hopefully) do list Faital stuff (but I'll be damned if I can find prices);
    -ask if they can get you four 10FE200s, either the 4- or the 8-ohm version, and for how much;
    -page @AstroSonic for help with designing a pair of sealed 210s with 8 ohm speakers (to be used with a series cable if together) or a pair of vented 210s with the 4-ohmers (each cab internally wired in series);
    -find a woodworker. There must be one in town, willing to listen to and apply basic (bass cabinet -specific) tips you'd be finding here and relaying to him;
    -if the cabs end up not having all the top end you need, buy a MarkBass piezo top box later.

14. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Gosh, if you lived in China, you could just walk around the block, and get an Ampeg Cab!

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

According to the India Dept of Revenue, music instruments fall under chapter 92 and get a fixed 10% import tax, to which you must add local VAT that varies from state to state and is typically roughly 15%. This is pretty standard.
    In France we get 5.5% import tax and 20% VAT.
    In USA, bass guitars get 8.7% import tax plus collector fix fee and sales tax. It's lower because USA.

16. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Thehangingmist - you have a Rumble you are playing the Shuttle through. Does the shop you got the Rumble from have the Rumble 115 , 210, or 410 Cabs ? Let alone the Neos?

Maybe not your first choice but maybe better than what you are doing.

17. + for schooling a local cabinetmaker in bass cab making. Cabinetmakers have their own methods which are less than optimal or plain bad news in BASS cabinets. Otherwise they have all the gear and skillset to churn out bass cabs like donuts.

Thommann is the leading EU source of Faital drivers and they ship anywhere at very good rates. Compare them before getting shafted by locals. You still have to pay import taxes but no Euro VAT.

mbelue likes this.
  18. Namaste! I am in your neighbourhood up north in Kathmandu, Nepal. Music gear dealers ship stuff here from Singapore and Bangkok and charge just a bit more than what it'd cost at the shop. We also have similar high taxes for music gear here in Nepal but if you order from these dealers you dont have to pay a hefty customs price. I dont know how the dealers work around this. For example I purchased a Vox AC15 amp and a Marshall head and cab from a local dealer for the same price as the US prices on sweetwater.com . musiciansfriend.com etc without paying anything extra. Why dont you find out if your music store dealers will order for you and ask them to quote a price see if its fair.

19. has to be smuggled taxfree or fake to compare with Sweetwater pricing.

20. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Best bet is probably find good cab plan, buy drivers, have someone make the cab there.