Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ideas Re Cabinet Selection With SVT-AV, Or Ampeg Woes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyMan, Feb 4, 2006.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey Everyone--

Just picked up a 1999 SVT Anniversary Classic head. The previous owner put matched Grove Tube KT 88s in in.

I'm currently running it with an Ampeg SVT Classic 4x10 HE 500 watts @ 8 ohms, 98 DB sensitivity. The amp is pushing 175 tube watts in the cab. It's got the Ampeg sound, but I'm not getting enough volume. The ultimate solution of course is an 810 Classic cab. But in the meantime, I'd like your opinions on the following options which would allow the head to ut out 300 watts @ 4 ohms:

Option #1:

Get an Avatar 112 SB or 210 to daisy chain of the head to fill in some volume and bottom end. (Question: Would each cab see 150 watts, or would the 300 watts be evenly distributed to all the speakers?)

Option #2: Get an Avatar 410 4 ohm cab--perhaps the Neo? Looking to close to the Ampge sound.

Option #3: Get an Ampeg 610 HLF. This is the least desirable since I do not want to spend major cash right now.

Thoughts???

BTW, I've also got an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp, and I'm going to try to use it with the Anniversary's power tubes--I believe that would be the same scheme as the new SVT-Reissue.

Thanks,

Andy

2. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    hey man you're not supposed to be using that cab with a SVT-Classic since its a tube amp and only designed to run at 2/4ohms.

I'd get the 810av or 410hlf (4ohm ported) instead of the 610hlf cab.

BTW, I have a SVT-AV with JJ Tesla KT88s too.

3. AndyMan

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hey naughtry--

I got an email response from an Ampeg tech and he said it was cool to run it 8 ohms--and it would put out 175 watts rms.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I may sound like a broken record, here, but my strongest recommendation is that you try one of the (current/soon to be/possibly discontinued?) Bergantino NV series cabs. These babies just sing with tube amps!

Tom.

5. AndyMan, Could I ask you to post the entire response you got from Ampeg please? I'm very curious about this... Thanks!!

6. AndyMan

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I no longer have the email. It was a few years ago, when I had my 1st SVT Classic. He said it would'nt hurt the amp, and you'd get 175 watts rms.
    Might we page the resident Ampeg Insider?