Idea's/songs for my Music Solo Performance? (10mins)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 28, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, i've got my mid term exam coming up soon for music and i need to do a 10 minute solo performance.
    Have any ideas for songs or things i should do? My tapping is getting there. Slap is pretty good, double thumb is getting there as well (just playing stuff like the first 30 seconds or so of classical thump etc). My fingerstyle isn't the fastest, but i'm more of a groove/melody player anyway..

Have any ideas for what i should do? I've been trying to make my own tapping peice but i've struck out on insperation ideas or nice scales etc to use when tapping as i don't have a teacher now and i'm suffering on my own.

Any tips, songs, patterns or anything you guys could think of would be appreciated.

By the way, i'm using country music (all slap parts, a couple tap parts + intro) for a minute or two of the time and trying to mix my own stuff in after/before it but i'm a bit stuck.

2. If you can , throw in a little bit of Chris Squire's bass solo The Fish. Its on the Fragile album, by YES.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I suggest whole notes, lots and lots of whole notes.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wouldn't that get a bit boring?
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    10 minutes of solo bass is a very long time. People don't want to hear someone wanking off for 10 minutes. But if you keep them on the edge of their seat, you might actually pull it off. Instead of thinking "what techniques and/or songs could I throw into this jambalaya" consider: "how can I grab the audiences attention, and keep it" Parlor tricks only go so far in this regard, song form and knowledge of theme and variation, tension and release, structure and cadence...etc. attribute to an interesting, and most importantly listenable piece, far more so than chops and/or ditties. Not saying you can't throw in whatever you want, but do you really think that people are going to care if you're tapping and double thumbing for 10 minutes?

Do you have many effects? particularly delay or a looper. Varying up the actual aural quality of your playing will also go a long way.

Tell us more about this project though, maybe I have the wrong idea of what is expected of you.
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i get ya.

I know what you mean, and i'm actually slowing most of the stuff down. I don't really have any fretboard wanking fast tapping in it, it's mainly (Actually, all) melodic. But what i do have, i've actually just put your idea in some parts, breaking down the riffs with little breaks. They still flow nicely, but it fills up time, same with slowing some riffs down.

The only effects i have is one of those crappy Digitech BP80's.. I'm going to run through it for one or two of the effects (ones a little delay the others like a... i've gone brain dead, lol. I'll think of it in a sec..)

I don't think i'l put any double thumbing in.. Maybe i little in soem sort of appregio form, but to most people it just sounds like a lame bunch of thumpy clicks.

Thanks for the advice :)

Keep it coming guys!
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I would still like to hear a little bit more about this assignment. 10 minutes of solo bass *is* pretty nuts. I mean, is it a 10 minute set, or are you trying to do a 10 minute piece? Is the goal to show off what the bass can do? or just to produce pleasing music? Is there a big audience? are they all bassists? musicians? non-musicians? I have done some solo bass performances, but nothing near 10 minutes. Like, it's a tricky thing to do really. No one typically cares about the bass, and when you put it in the forefront it's like "huh?"

If it's to be 10 minutes of one piece. Then you're going to want to have a few clear cut variations and modulations and changes in the structure of all sorts. Don't stick to one thing too long, but don't dart around too much. It's a fine balance between doing two things that get boring real quick.

don't worry about how fast you can play, I mean 10 minutes is a long time to fill, if you play too fast you'll not only say everything you have to say before 10 minutes is up, but you might trip and fall.

Build something, don't just go up there and play. ya know?
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's 10 minutes of solo work, it can be seperate peices put together, but it has to flow together. The thing is, alot of the people in my class are doing guitar or drums for their main instrument, unlike myself, who chose to do bass and show people how creative it can be.
    The 10 minute peice is our solo performance SAC/Exam for VCE Music (In other words, last two years of high school) and we play it to the class, it's recorded on video and also audio and then sent of to the VCAA who listen to it and mark it.

I want to show what a bass can do, but i don't want to come across as a wanker. So i want technicality, a little bit of speed (Hey, it always impresses) but mainly just creativity and a nice listenable peice.

Apart from playing it to our class (There are a couple other bassists, although they don't seem to mind just playing something simple and boring, others are keys, guitar and drums..i think there is one brass player, but he's doing keys/piano as his instrument), we have to perform it on a certain night decided by the school. It will be played to family, friends, students, other musicians, teachers etc etc.

So yeah, i'm looking to break it down. I'l start with some nice chordal work, going into some of the tapping (Which lasts about 3 minutes or so i've found). Then i'm just going to break it up and go into country music i think, keep the tapping going and go into the intro, get peoples attention. I'l play about 1 or 2 minutes of that and instead of finishing it off in a big finale, i'l try go into some funky slap lines. Nothing to fast, something people will like listening to etc, and there is where i might just put a few double thumb runs into it.

After that though (Probably about 7 minutes worth now) i'm not too sure what to do. I can ceratinly improv, but i don't want to risk that for my exam, and i'd rather have something written out which i can perform again on the nights that i'm needed to.

That cover pretty much everything? Anything else you want to know? It seems alot of time for our first half year exam... but oh well, it must be done!
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Couldn't of said that better.

Try to incorporate multiple parts to one line and keep the piece flowing. If you change tempos or time signatures too often it will detract more from the piece than it will add. Also try to work in chords and double stops to fill up some space.

A looper would make this a lot easier. That way you could fill the space of three or four more musicians. You could have a rythym of muted plucks for drums/percussion, trebley chords for a faux rythym git, a bassline (of course), if you have a phaser; crank it up and simulate organ through a Leslie. Add a basic, melodic solo and most people would probably stay until you are finished. If put in a similar situation, this is the course I would take, along with the addition of more effects.

The possiblities are damn near endless; use a volume pedal for horn-esque stabs, use delay to add interest, etc.

If you pace yourself and add these parts at the appropiate times (right before it gets boring), you would fill up a good deal of the time.

Good luck man.