1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ideas: WISHBASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevin_BlueBASS, Apr 18, 2009.

1. STAY AWAY!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Get one!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Forget the WISHBASS, keep saving for the Gibson SG Supreme!

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. Hey guys!
    Now before you crucify me (lol), I've done lots of searches regarding these issues,
    but I wanted to have uptaded opinions from owners and opinions all in one thread....
    I've been GAS'ing bad for my dream bass: a Gibson SG supreme bass but I came across the much more affordable Wishbass.
    I've heard some terrifying horror stories about this company's basses, particularly the earlier models,
    but I want to be reassured from owners!
    I'm looking at a 'The Standard' with a short 30" scale.
    Thanks in advance guys!
    Peace
    :bassist:

2. Lol
    Come on guys! I need your guidance!
    :bag:

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
  4. Thanks! I've already checked out all of the WISHBASS clubs but I was hoping to get updated opinions from the owners after they've had them for a while.

5. If you want an SG, a Wishbass is not going to meet your requirements in any way, shape, or form. I'm not even knocking on Wishbasses. Just that they are entirely different instruments.

6. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I think that Wishbass necks are very, very big. You may or may not like that.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Keep on saving, while the Wish's are fine basses, and actually sound good(other than *that* video), they have huge upright bass style necks, and are nowhere near an SG bass in any way, keep plugging for what you really want.

8. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    +1 and i said get one. wishbass and gibson may not even be on the same universe. get both. :ninja:

9. " Entirely different " is probably the most politically correct term for P. O. S. I have ever heard. Kudos to you my friend. Oh btw I voted :( STAY AWAY

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    You'll wish your bass was the SG. There's your "wishbass" right there.

:)

11. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I own two Wishbasses, both of which are great sounding and playing basses.

My recommendation would be to buy and SG.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    This is my point, Wish's are good axes, great, espcially for their price, being completly custom, and with sweet woods.

But if I want a Fender, I don't buy a Gibson, nor if I wanted a Gibson, would I buy a Wish. Or any other variation thereof.

13. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    every one should own a wish once in there life,you`ll always wonder what if until you buy one.but i`ve owned a wish,and if i was you i`d buy a sg,then a wish for fun:)

14. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    i definitely don't wonder what its like to own one, nor do i feel i need to honestly, they just don't do it for me visually to really consider picking one up new, used or otherwise... they are great for some people, i can totally respect that, however, they have no appeal to me

15. Just wondering... How does the neck profile compare to a Gibson?

16. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The necks on Wishbasses are almost the size of a DB, the tone they emulate.

You will not, period, find the tone of a fretless Wishbass anywhere close to a Gibson.

There was just a Gibson SG Supreme for $800 in the TB Classifieds.

17. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    as a wishbass owner, get one of the one's on ebay, refinish it, and play it for awhile

but save up for that gibson, my friend. I have had several wishbasses, and currently have one left - and I barely play it.

my go to bass is either my MTD Kingston Artist 5 string, or my Spector Euro.

18. I've never owned a Wishbass but I've seen a few. They're unique in every sense of the word but I'm not saying that in a negative way. They're just different and that could be cool if you like unique stuff.

One thing I've learned in my 30+ years of being a musician is that if you have your heart set on getting a certain instrument, NEVER get something else thinking that you're needs will be met. You will regret buying something else other than what you really wanted. I've done that way too many times in my life. If you want a Gibson then get a Gibson, not a Wishbass or even an Epiphone. There's not too many feelings in the world that are worse than buying a bass and regretting it, wishing you would have waited for what you really wanted.

19. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I can vouch for what Capn says about regretting buying a bass. I always wanted a Geddy, but bought Fender Deluxe MIA Active Jazz..

I hated it, sold it, and am perfectly happy with my Stealth Lee.

20. Ok I'll continue saving for the SG Supreme