1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Idenifty this bass please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themacinator, Dec 31, 2011.

1. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Seller says its from 1957

I can't seem to find anything on it.

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I don't know what it is, but it is in AMAZING condition for being 55 years old. I would expect the metal on the bridge and pickup surround to be much more tarnished/pitted/discolored than that. I'm questioning if it really is that old. It seems to be in much too nice condition for its supposed age.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The pickguard reminds me of some of the Danelectros.

4. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Whatever it is, it's pretty sexy lookin'

5. bigalbass

bigalbass

Dec 12, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    This bass looks like a 60's Japanese bass (Teisco, Greco, Seckova) etc. But what do I really know?

6. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Well that's it for sure. Seller wants 200 for it.

7. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Looks very similar to a old Japanese model that was branded Zenon. Do a google for zenon guitar. Image results look pretty similar.

8. With the condition it appears to be in, I doubt you'd get hurt on it @ 200. I'd bet a dealer at a guitar show would give more than 200 for it, if you change your mind & want to sell it.

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    It looks more like it's from the 60's as others have said. What ever it is it is in great shape! $200 seems like a good deal. I would go for it!

10. How about that bridge!

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Teisco or Harmony

12. It floors me to think back to the sixties, when basses like this were hanging in every pawn shop window for $49-$69 NEW!! :p

On a side note; Until he joined The Allman Brothers, Lamar Williams played an old $59 Kingston similar to this (with mis-matched strings, missing knobs, bent tuners, bowed neck, etc). I used to borrow it from him while refinishing my Fender! :D
    He made it sound like a million dollars though!

13. Pawn shops? We bought 'em at Sears, Montgomery Ward, EJ Korvette, & other fine retailers for that amount!! Along with the tube amps they plugged into. :eek: