1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Identfying old image (bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 400$Bass, Apr 28, 2009.

1. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I cannot remember where I acquired this image...perhaps off the internet.? Obviously the Double Bass is what caught my eye an particularly the size of the scroll. It seem larger than some? Does anyone on this site know of the origin of this image or anything about it?

Oldband.

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    sorry, i can say nothing about the bass, but the player looks like david beckham:)

3. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    That's funny, because the first thought was that he looked like Flea.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    It's a 1923 photo of the Southern Road Boys. The bass player is Kurt Lingl, noted for his booming technique and flawless time-keeping. His bass was actually a home-made instrument. Look at the thin ribs. Fourth in from the left is Fred Wadell. Apparently, guitar-playing was in the genes. His grand-nephew: Duane Allman!

(I made this all up-- I have no idea who's in the picture. :D)

5. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    Scrolls could have been a phallic symbol back then? Mine's bigger than yours kind of thing. The gals in the audience loved the bass player no doubt.

6. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    These days, it's endpins! :D

7. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Man you had me going for a minute...;) Then I seen the teenie letters at the bottom! You cottonpicker you.

8. OMG... that's funny! Sounds like your used to having to come up with quick stories!

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Picture1.

Flea has always been the bass player here.

10. I think the bass player's the only straight one in the bunch.
    The way those guys in the front row all have their legs crossed, spells trouble for our man. He could pull a fast one on them with that scroll though.

11. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    ok, here is another one :):
    [​IMG]

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

"The Hills are Alive with the Sound of ....." :eyebrow:

(The Von Crapp Family?)

13. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    sorry, wrong answer:)

14. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Actually, this is the group that played the background music for the Munchkin dance in the 1939 film production of the Wizard of Oz. They were all relatives of the Munchkin actors. There are nine musicians with a total of 14 teeth.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That many! :eyebrow:

16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, two of them are on a necklace.

17. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    and another one for drurb
    1280_3161326333313230.

18. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    LMAO as usual!

Drurb, how do you know these things?...... Bravo! Duh, I just read the small print. You got me there!

19. drurb, I think you've finally found your groove in life. As you know, being older like myownself, one of the few enrichments we can find in life is the ability to make fun of other folks.
    You and I could teach a course on this.
    Feels good don't it?
    PS...Hopefully, it's also helped you in your obsession with Lycon's. You REALLY need some help on that one. I don't remember if you're married, but my bet is that if you are, the little woman has a Lycon bass string package likeness tattooed on her ass.

20. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    I am married and hadn't yet thought of the tatoo! I'll work on it! Finally found my groove in life? Finally? My friends and family would have fun with that-- been doing comedy routines since I was about 10 years old. I know, I know, some will find that really hard to believe given my usual on-line persona.